Riding above Glade Park, CO into UT towards the La Sals

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I took my new-to-me 2005 DR650 out on the first 'big' ride today. I have been out on a few other rides, but they were all under 50 miles and somewhat close to home. I have been out to this area before in a 4x4 and have been jonesin' to get back out there, even more so on a bike. I loaded up my Camelback, put on all my gear & headed out to the bike. On my way to the gas station, the bike sputtered & I flipped over to reserve. I thought, '125 miles on the tank to reserve... good to know.'

I left the gas station & headed up the Colorado National Monument from the Fruita side. After a long, winding trip up the road and I was at the Glade Park store. I took a right & headed for the UT border, at an elevation near 8000 feet. After a long ride of pavement, eventually the dirt started. I dig this area, it's much cooler than my place down in the valley & the scenery is amazing.

293799780_DiDtn-L.jpg

I reached the UT/CO border and followed the dirt road is it began to loose elevation. The road follows an amazing redrock shelf down into the valley below.

293799967_RpNxQ-L.jpg

293800204_TXcgy-L.jpg

The road itself is pretty tame, with a few rollers to loft the front wheel off of. One of these hills is perfect for getting some decent air... the DR650 is a big bike & the suspension is pretty mushy. I wondered what it would be like to jump the thing... and had my opportunity. I lined up with the perfect hill & rolled on the throttle. I hit it at about 40 and rode it out, the bike dropped quickly and the landing was as expected, pretty poor. It felt pretty good to get the big bike off the ground though.

I started getting closer to the La Sals and was actually making good ground getting closer to them every time I looked up. Found a stream crossing, it was nearly axle-deep, I went thru with speed and managed to get some nice, cool water on myself.

293800393_3gLtG-L.jpg

293800516_dSFzh-L.jpg

After crossing a massive valley and winding down the elevation even further, I made it to a quickly running river at the bottom of an amazing canyon. The cottonwood trees were very green and the water was running fast & high. I found the road crossing and hopped off the bike to investigate further. I tried the 'toss the rock in the river' test and quickly concluded that the water was a bit much to cross, being by myself and out in the middle of nowhere. The fact that I was near my turnaround point, 65 miles one way, was another deciding factor.

293800706_Rez8y-L.jpg

293828262_27gi7-L.jpg

On the way back home I took a detour, another road I had seen before and had been curious about. It climbed even higher, I'd guess I was over 8500 ft and was getting into some of the remaining winters snow. I got to the following patch of snow and had to try a few times to get thru. The best result had me throttling thru in 1st gear, then standing off the bike and walking it thru the rest of the snow.

On my way back thru the snow I did manage to drop the bike... I followed my tracks back thru, the bike wanted to go one way and I wanted to go another. No biggie, no damage. I laughed at myself, not much else I could do!

293828636_tnkYr-L.jpg

I rode up past a couple more snow patches, then at 104 miles, the bike started chugging, then died. :wtf: Apparently those runs at 80+ MPH consumed more fuel than my previous tank, which I got 125 to reserve. I was kind of worried, since I had 30+ miles more riding to get back home and wasn't sure how far the DR's reserve would take me... I headed downhill, keeping my speeds at no more than 55/60. After getting into the CO Natl Monument, I coasted as much as I could. I ended up with 5 miles coasting, and made it home without problem.

I have been threatening to buy a DR650 for sometime now and I finally found a good, local deal on this '05. I initially didn't care for yellow, but the 'safety-first' aspect is growing on me. It's quite visible to the cagers! :D I had a DRZ400E and picked up a KLR as a Adventure bike last fall... there was too much of a gap between the 2 and I wasn't pleased with the KLR, so I sold both & picked up this DR650. The previous owner of the DR650 put on a set of knobbies, aftermarket bars & handguards. I have added a Utah Sport cycles skidplate and tomorrow I'll be ordering a Corbin seat, IMS tank and 14 tooth counter-spocket. I'm looking forward to having more than 100 miles range. Every ride I take on this bike, I love it even more, it's the perfect fit for the type of riding I want to do.

Oh... BTW, I lost my cheap digital camera last time I went out riding. That's the 3rd camera I have lost/broken/had ran over in about 6 years. There's a reason I buy refurbished cameras off Ebay. These pics were taken with the camera on my Blackberry.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
You should leave the Blackberry at home. That would be just tragic if you lost THAT.

Nice looking area... looks like it was worth the trip. :D

Greg

Admin
You should leave the Blackberry at home. That would be just tragic if you lost THAT.

Nice looking area... looks like it was worth the trip. :D

I should, but I didn't. It was my lifeline if anything happens while I'm out riding, that area is quite desolate. Next time I'll take my cheap phone. :rolleyes: It was a great trip, I need to get out there again with a larger tank & try make into the La Sals, then Moab. That area is so unexplored, it seems to be one of the unknown areas around Moab.

Makes me want a dual purpose bike even worse...

Nothing like the feeling of riding asphalt, dirt & asphalt and being legal the whole time.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Either that... or I should go with you in my Jeep with extra fuel and supplies in the back, then there are no worries!
I have always wanted to get back there!
Matt
I should, but I didn't. It was my lifeline if anything happens while I'm out riding, that area is quite desolate. I should have kept my cheap phone. :rolleyes: It was a great trip, I need to get out there again with a larger tank & try make into the La Sals, then Moab. That area is so unexplored, it seems to be one of the unknown areas around Moab.

Nothing like the feeling of riding asphalt, dirt & asphalt and being legal the whole time.

Greg

Admin
Either that... or I should go with you in my Jeep with extra fuel and supplies in the back, then there are no worries!
I have always wanted to get back there!
Matt

It's a cool area, I'd love to camp at the river crossing. Next time I head out there I'd like to try connecting to the La Sals.

Looks like a great trip! The weather was beautiful yesterday, I'm sure it was amazing up that high.

Yep, perfect day for a ride. The elevation varied so much, it was hot & cool at the different areas.

I can't wait until I finish my little '90' Cherokee and get it down to Grand Junction. That's exactly the kind of stuff I want to explore.

There's soooo much land out there, you could spend days exploring different roads & not see the same thing. A Cherokee would be a great rig to take out there & explore. :cool:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
What are those crazy things sticking up from the bars on both sides? ;) (you need to get a fold-away single mirror on that thing...)

I like the wrap-around hand guards...

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
What are those crazy things sticking up from the bars on both sides? ;) (you need to get a fold-away single mirror on that thing...)

I like the wrap-around hand guards...

Yeah, the factory mirrors... I actually have a small fold-down single that I was running w/o the stock mirror, but it doesn't stay in place and I can't see anything since it reflects back to me. I really don't feel safe riding around town without seeing what idiot is pulling up behind me, so the stock mirrors went back on.

Greg

Admin
Yeah, probably a good plan if they'll keep you from getting hit. :eek:

What do I know? I've never had a bike with mirrors...

I feel much safer being able to glance behind me when pulling to a stop sign or red light. If I were doing 90% dirt riding I wouldn't care, but so far it's been 50/50 on & offroad. Riding a motorcycle on the street always makes me nervous, people on the roads are oblivious to anything coming towards them that doesn't weigh over 4000 pounds.

KWight

I can't wait until I finish my little '90' Cherokee and get it down to Grand Junction. That's exactly the kind of stuff I want to explore.

x3.

Let me know the next time you plan on going out that way. I live close by and would love to take a road trip from Glade Park to Moab, and then return via the Kokepelli Trail if time permits.

Kevin

Greg

Admin
x3.

Let me know the next time you plan on going out that way. I live close by and would love to take a road trip from Glade Park to Moab, and then return via the Kokepelli Trail if time permits.

Kevin

I'll try, a lot of my little trips are spur of the moment. I pretty much live my life like that. :rofl: Matter of fact, I just got back from a quick trip out to Rabbit Valley on the DR. :greg:

After studying Google Earth, it would be possible to ride from Glade Park to Dewey Bridge, but you would have to ford Dolores River. This time of year I'd bet the it's running pretty high. I've seen pics & video of the crossing in mid-summer & it still can cover 33" tires.

Cool pictures. :greg:

Thanks! :D

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Might be a little off topic but I've got to ask. Why the DR over the KLR or over the DRZ?

Every spring I go through the I want a bike phase and this year it's been overpowering. :hickey:

Greg

Admin
Might be a little off topic but I've got to ask. Why the DR over the KLR or over the DRZ?

Every spring I go through the I want a bike phase and this year it's been overpowering. :hickey:

Good question! The KLR was a bike that could do almost anything, but did nothing very well. It was at it's offroad limit on a 2 track dirt road, anything more difficult and it was the wrong bike. On road around town it was OK, on the freeway running at 80 MPH the front end got a nasty vibration... the forks are weak and the front tire would literally shake back & forth. It's a well known problem with KLR's. Not a good feeling when you're passing Semis. :eek: I have heard the '08+ KLR's are a different bike, so if you're thinking of buying new that headshake may not be the case. I almost bought a new one, but wanted something more dirt-worthy.

My DRZ400 was a great bike, I had a hard time selling it. It was a bike that was at home in technical singletrack, getting air and riding hard. It wasn't really highway worthy, wasn't street legal nor did it have a ton of fuel range. I wanted something a little bigger that was more comfortable at speed and had the capability to haul myself & gear for a 2-3 day offroad trip.

The DR650 was the perfect answer, IMO. It feels smaller than it is, is quite capable offroad and will run down the freeway at 80+ without issue. I've got a 4 gallon tank on the way, which should give me over 200 miles of range.

The KLR is not bad, just didn't suite me. I had to try owning one, to see what all the fuss was about. There's people that believe they are the best answer to an adventure touring bike. They may be the perfect bike for some, but I wanted something more dirt-worthy. Does that help?

ricsrx

I love my Honda 250x street leagal, it it tops out at 60,needs longer legs for the open road, i ride in the price ut area, the last time i was out wheelin i saw a bunch of bikes going by, man i wish i could do both at the same time!!!!!!!!!!