Riding in January?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Not being able to ride is getting more and more depressing! :( I have the opportunity to take around 7 days off in January with my good buddy Kevin and we were thinking about heading South to do some dirtbiking. At first we were thinking Glamis or Sand Mountain Nevada for some dunes, but I wouldn't mind some desert/trails/single track. Anyone know of some good trail riding in January that's in the 55* or higher range? I'd like somewhere without fee's or a crowd... that's not too much to ask is it? What do you think? Oh and its open invite if you're at all interested :D

Andrew

YOUKNOW

If you go to Glamis, you can ride for free. You have to park in the washes area. If you park on Gecko road, it will cost you. (Dont go on a holiday!) There is also Ocotillo wells down the road from there as well. Have fun.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks for the reply! I know my question was pretty vague :hickey: but thanks for the info.

Is Glamis worth the drive do you think? I didn't go to the dunes once this year and I'm kinda bummed about it.

rholbrook

I don't think Glamis or Octillo are worth the drive. I am saying this but I have never been there personally so if I had been, maybe my opinion would be different. I have a friend that goes there every year and he is from Southern California, but he has never been to any of our dunes around here. In a conversation he is the kind of person that likes to bring up the fact that GLAMIS is the only place to ride if your a GREAT rider. You know the kind I am talking about.

Coral Pink is worth the drive if you want to go somewhere a little warmer, it may not be 50 every day but on the right days it will be and then you can still get your desert riding done around St George as well.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
In a conversation he is the kind of person that likes to bring up the fact that GLAMIS is the only place to ride if your a GREAT rider. You know the kind I am talking about.

Coral Pink is worth the drive if you want to go somewhere a little warmer, it may not be 50 every day but on the right days it will be and then you can still get your desert riding done around St George as well.

Yep I've met a few "competition riders" and they make me laugh :D

I've never been to Coral either :-\ but it sounds like a lot of fun from what I've heard. Any ideas of where to get info on riding in St. George? Any trails in particular to search under? Sorry to sound like I'm totally in the dark--but I am lol. Thanks again you guy's.

Caleb

I've got a great map for the St. George area, I'll upload it now. My buddy and I are planning on heading to St. George/Mesquite in January sometime to do some riding. It will probably just be a Fri-Sun thing though. One sec on that map, it'll atleast give you some ideas of trails. (There's tons)

Corban_White

In January I let the bike have a rest and ride here locally. :D:D

snowmobile4.jpg

YOUKNOW

Thanks for the reply! I know my question was pretty vague :hickey: but thanks for the info.

Is Glamis worth the drive do you think? I didn't go to the dunes once this year and I'm kinda bummed about it.

I do think that Glamis is worth the drive, IF you like dunes and have a paddle. A paddle is a must or your top end will be toast in 10 minutes. If you have not been there, then take a trip. It has a WAY bigger area to ride in compared to any of the local dunes, and the hills are steep and long. Another cool thing about Glamis is there are no rocks or anything below the sand to ruin your paddle. That is one thing I did not like some of the local dunes in Utah. I used to ride in Glamis every other weekend in the winter because I lived down there. I miss how fun it was. You could find huge jumps, just use your imagination and you could find them. The sand changes with every wind storm so it is always different. If you go, I could help with where to stay or what to bring. Good luck.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Ok, http://www.ohvfriendly.com/images/Tri-State.jpg (it's large, that's why I didn't post it in the thread)

I printed that one out at work on the plotter and I now have a HUGE paper version of it :cool: Out of curiosity are any of the trails shown single track? Or is it atv/motorcycle? Looks like fun either way. Again I've been to St. George maybe twice in my life and it was a very long time ago :eek:

In January I let the bike have a rest and ride here locally. :D:D

Ughh... Another sled head lol :D My riding buddies spend all summer talking about how they can't wait for sledding season. Then the snow hits and after a few rides they talk about how they can't wait for dirt biking :rofl:

I'm not much of a snowmobiler, but looks like good times and that's a great pic!

I do think that Glamis is worth the drive, IF you like dunes and have a paddle. A paddle is a must or your top end will be toast in 10 minutes. If you have not been there, then take a trip. It has a WAY bigger area to ride in compared to any of the local dunes, and the hills are steep and long. Another cool thing about Glamis is there are no rocks or anything below the sand to ruin your paddle. That is one thing I did not like some of the local dunes in Utah. I used to ride in Glamis every other weekend in the winter because I lived down there. I miss how fun it was. You could find huge jumps, just use your imagination and you could find them. The sand changes with every wind storm so it is always different. If you go, I could help with where to stay or what to bring. Good luck.

Sounds like fun. I spent most of my weekends from the time I was twelve to about nineteen riding the St. Anthony dunes. I love the sand its too much fun at times!

I just sent the top end of my CR500 out for port work and head mods. I'd love to try it out at Glamis when its all put back together! :D

Caleb

I printed that one out at work on the plotter and I now have a HUGE paper version of it :cool: Out of curiosity are any of the trails shown single track? Or is it atv/motorcycle? Looks like fun either way. Again I've been to St. George maybe twice in my life and it was a very long time ago :eek:

I got that map from my buddy, but I'm 99% sure he got it from an ATV site, so I'd guess most of those trails are not single track, but I can't say for sure.

Caleb

I've been watching that. It's tempting, but I'm not sure I really want to go ride with a bunch of families.

rholbrook

I've been watching that. It's tempting, but I'm not sure I really want to go ride with a bunch of families.
What? I remember a certain ride where you faked a broken foot so you could ride in my jeep just to get to hang out with my family.:)

My boys still talk about how cool you were.