Central Utah RME August Trail Run; Hanging Tree Trail

I'm very interested in attending.

What is the travel distance from the proposed parking lot to the actual trail head? Are plates and tags required to travel across this proposed route?

I've only got OHV stickers on my Sami crawler and she can only do about 15 to 20mph across a dirt road.

What do you think the temperature will be up in the hills while running the trail?

Thanks,

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Have you tried calling the security folks at the college yet? I don't mind calling and mentioning our plans to see if they can handle some tow rigs and trailers. Just thinking we could find out if this is still a parking option.

I haven't called the college, I've been working on getting permission for our group to park and camp (if desired) on the private property, which we now have. Parking on the private property will cost $5/vehicle and those that want to camp, can at $10/vehicle. This will be a more secure point and closer to the start of the trail, so it's ideal, IMO. I need to get the GPS co-ordinates of the meeting location, will work on that next.

There may be some that don't want to pay for parking, so the college or Maverik are the other options.

I'm very interested in attending.

What is the travel distance from the proposed parking lot to the actual trail head? Are plates and tags required to travel across this proposed route?

I've only got OHV stickers on my Sami crawler and she can only do about 15 to 20mph across a dirt road.

What do you think the temperature will be up in the hills while running the trail?

Thanks,

Our meeting point, the trail and the return will be in the dirt and fairly short distances, versus driving from town and back. So for a OHV sticker'd rig, you should be fine!

I'm hoping it will be cooler, with a 9 AM start and much of the trail being in a canyon with trees, it should be quite nice most of the day. I'd imagine it will be pretty warm when we get back to the parking/meeting area.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Sounds like a great plan. Do you have a phone number or ham frequency in case we have problems finding the meeting point?

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I was able to take that high steer kit off run a bolt through both ends and in the stock hole in the knuckle. It was Jimmy riged but got us off the hill. Happened 20 ft from the top of Cadillac hill/observation point.

bamacpl

The security guy (Derek Walk) had us park at the big empty lot on the west campus. You turn at the Maverick & it is the furthest big empty lot to the west. From there i'd say the trail head is 6-8 miles. You are fine to drive down these roads with anything. getting to the actual trail head is a lil confusing if you have never been there. You will be on a good dirt road U you'll get to a spot in the road where it is washed out pretty bad. It is in a spot where another canyon dumps into that main road.....you turn left right there & go up the creek bed. It will still be about 1/2 mile up this creek bed until you get to the "Hanging Tree" sign.

bamacpl

N39.41031 W111.69563 is the spot where it is washed out. This is where you turn off the main road & start up the creek bed.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
How long is the drive to/from the trail and the trail? I'm trying to guestimate how much fuel I'll need in the jeep.

TJ Rubicon

Hey Guys! I'm new to the group, just found your group and registered. I used to wheel in Texas, back in the 70's & 80's with my CJ5 and adulthood and family forced me to sell that back in '93, about a year after I had moved to Utah. I have wanted to get back into this for quite sometime and finally picked up a stock 2004 Rubicon in January. I have done a few mods to it and I would love to find a group to wheel with and this run looks like it would be fun. I only have 33's but I was able to do Golden Spike at Moab over EJS week, without any issues. Made it up everything except of course, the wall. I didn't see anyone make it up that without being winched! Let me know if you have room for someone new to your group, thanks!

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Hey Guys! I'm new to the group, just found your group and registered. I used to wheel in Texas, back in the 70's & 80's with my CJ5 and adulthood and family forced me to sell that back in '93, about a year after I had moved to Utah. I have wanted to get back into this for quite sometime and finally picked up a stock 2004 Rubicon in January. I have done a few mods to it and I would love to find a group to wheel with and this run looks like it would be fun. I only have 33's but I was able to do Golden Spike at Moab over EJS week, without any issues. Made it up everything except of course, the wall. I didn't see anyone make it up that without being winched! Let me know if you have room for someone new to your group, thanks!

Welcome! Love the rubi!

33's might be interesting on that trail, but if you pulled your top and door and didn't mind a little rock rash here and there along with some time on the end of strap, I think you would have a good time.

I am not sure who is leading that run it would be there call...

Greg

Admin
I'm technically leading this one, but I've never been on the trail before so I don't know it. BUT... based on what Dempsey said earlier in this thread, he knows that trail quite well and is familiar with how TJ's work on it. He mentioned that 35's should be the bare minimum and I think it's best that we stick to that. Honestly, the last thing I want to do is chase off a new member but I think in this case and with how challenging this trail is, we are going to have to stick with the minimum of 35" tires.

TJ Rubicon

That why I asked and used Golden Spike, in my mind, as a reference. They told me that trail needed 35's also and I had no issues on the trail, so that was only a reference for me. But, you guys know the trail and it's all good! I'll keep my eye on the forum and look for a run perhaps better suited.

Greg

Admin
That why I asked and used Golden Spike, in my mind, as a reference. They told me that trail needed 35's also and I had no issues on the trail, so that was only a reference for me. But, you guys know the trail and it's all good! I'll keep my eye on the forum and look for a run perhaps better suited.

Yeah, I understand... the thing with HTT is the size of the boulders and frequency as well (from all the reports, pics & vids I have seen). Being that it's in a wet canyon bottom, traction and maintaining a line can be difficult. IMO it's very different than most Moab trails, where traction is abundant and you're driving on slickrock.

There will be more RME runs that will be better suited to your vehicle! But yes, please stick around and enjoy the forum, it's a great group of friendly people.