Central Utah RME August Trail Run; Hanging Tree Trail

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That why I asked and used Golden Spike, in my mind, as a reference. They told me that trail needed 35's also and I had no issues on the trail, so that was only a reference for me. But, you guys know the trail and it's all good! I'll keep my eye on the forum and look for a run perhaps better suited.

I've yet to run this trail as well, so I can't provide much input but I will say a good driver can make a huge difference for sure! :cool:

I do know that random trail rides are a lot more active in the spring and fall here because of cooler temps.

Welcome, by the way!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
More info, as seen from behind the wheel of a TJ on 35s:

I first ran HTT back in 2012. I have run it at least once per year, every year since then (except for 2018, sadly). For the first few years, the trail difficulty remained fairly constant. But then suddenly for 2016 (if I remember right), the difficulty went up significantly--it seems there was a lot of runoff that spring, which eroded much of the dirt portion of the trail. This is an issue because there are numerous places where you navigate around large rocks by putting one side's tires on the rocks and the other side on the dirt, and what used to require driving over a 12"-18" tall rock ledge tuned into driving over a 24"+ rock ledge. All by itself, that's still not a big deal when you're on 35s... but when you also have to make tight turns and careful maneuvers, the difficulty level goes way up (along with your chances of getting high-centered on said rocks).

There are plenty of places where you will lean your rig way over to one side or the other. Sometimes this forces you to lean right into a large rock. You should expect tons of wheel rash, plus gouges to your fender flares. My current aftermarket flares are not as flexible as the stock ones were, and I ended up destroying one and ripping another the last time I ran HTT. This didn't bother me, but if having that happen would ruin your day then you may want to reconsider running this trail.

Somewhere, I have dash cam footage from running the entire trail. These files are way too big to post here, but if anyone wants to see them perhaps we can get together for a small viewing party. Let me know.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
lol... I've talked about doing some kind of informational video about HTT so people know all the details, private land etiquette, maps, drone footage, etc.

I hope that anyone that wants to make this run posts up so we have a accurate head count and know what & who to expect.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
I was at Chad's house yesterday and mentioned that there was a plan to do the HTT on the 17th. Chad said that he had already heard that someone was going to document a trip on the HTT, which would also include some of the history of the trail. Jeremy Pritchard was the very first one to go up the creek bed and Chad was right behind Jeremy on that first trip. Chad is interested in participating in the HTT run on the 17th, and I hope to also make it. Chad knows the full story about the HTT and would be pleased to pass that along. I'm going to also contact Devon Parson to see if he would like to join the group since he has been running the HTT since the early days. This trail ride is shaping up to be very interesting.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Do we have coords for the trail head / meeting spot?
Also, any recommended camping spots for a single night?