Other Region RME Baja trip... ?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
There has been a little talk about this here & there... figured we'd get some discussion going. So who is interested in a Baja trip next year?

Here's my thoughts...

Vehicle; If you're going, you need to know that your vehicle is totally reliable for thousands of miles of freeway and rough dirt road driving. A stock 4x4 with GOOD tires is enough for most all of Baja, plus a good spare tire. Extra gas is a must, 10+ gallons is smart to bring... sometimes gas stations will be out or closed when you needed to fill your tank. Tools and basic spare parts are wise, recovery gear is smart to have... soft sand is the most common issue, but a decent 4x4 should be fine. Having the ability to air downand back up will save your ride on the rough dirt roads and travel much faster/more comfortably.

Lodging; I would say we try to camp about half the time (or less), plus having camping gear makes it easy if we can't find somewhere to stay one night or if we find somewhere awesome that we want to hang out for awhile. There should be plenty of decent options for getting a room in most of the towns, having running water, food, etc.

Food & Water; Having a fridge is ideal, that way you can pack perishables for several days. We can stop at some of the markets along the way, restock on food, etc. Bring your own water.... we usually buy a flat of bottled water. Stopping for food at the towns is the best!

Timing; My wife and I are limited on when we can go down due to our jobs, holidays, etc. Best time for us is over Thanksgiving or Christmas break. We've gone down over Thanksgiving in the past and it's barely enough time with 10 days total for the trip. I would prefer to go over Christmas, spending 10+ days... as much as 14-15 days on the whole trip. Our last trip was too rushed, it would be best to spend 2-3 days at one place, hang out & explore, then move on to somewhere else.

Driving Down & Back; We usually drive down in a day, spend the night in Yuma, AZ and cross the border in the morning. When you head back and cross the border into the States, it's best to leave EARLY and hit the border soon as you can. Expect to wait at least an hour to get back into the US. We'll then drive until we're tired and then stop for a room.

Weather; In the Winter, Baja weather is great! Hoodie & shorts weather, cool at night and usually high 60's to low 70's in the day. But that's not guaranteed, we've been down there in the Winter and it's been low 40's and windy, making for miserable weather.

Destinations; Just a list of possible places to see (we've been to most), some hot springs, fun towns and a incredible restored Mission in San Ignacio. Cañón de Guadalupe, San Felipe, Bahía de los Ángeles, Punta San Francisquito, San Ignacio, etc. I would LOVE to charter a fishing boat, spend some time whale watching, etc.

Speaking Spanish; Knowing Spanish isn't necessary, but if you know some you'll find communicating with the locals (and Mexican Military) easier.

Group Size; I would prefer not having a huge group, but 6-8 vehicles should be OK. Less would be better. ;)

Communications; Communications are a must, CB's or 2 meter radios.... what ever is easier for everyone.

Things to Know... Must Haves; No weapons, guns, ammo, in your vehicle, etc. Like Mexican jail? Bring either... :ugh: You will need a Passport to get back into the USA! Must have Mexican Car Insurance, it's cheap and you can buy it online before heading down. If you get into an accident without insurance, Mexican Jail for you! There are frequent Mexican Military Checkpoints in Baja, they're looking for drugs & guns. Don't have them and it's no issue, treat the Mexican Military guys with respect, be nice... we've never had a problem. They will probably want to inspect your vehicle, open up doors, etc. They will ask where you came from, where you're going, etc. If you smile and joke around with them, they're a lot nicer. A cold Coke goes a long way, too!

So.... who wants to go to Baja? :greg:

sixstringsteve

SUPER interested. I served my mission in Mexico, so I spoke fluent Spanish 15 years ago. It's rusty now, but I can get by just fine.

Greg

Admin
I want in. I just put in for my 2017 vacation blocks, I couldn't get Thanksgiving or Christmas but I did get the week of New Years 2018...

We're stuck with what we can take, regarding dates. We haven't made plans to go for 2016, so I'm thinking 2017 will be our year. Christmas will be my personal preference, for the sake of a little more time.

i would love to go but don't have the vehicle for it at the moment. Last time I went was 2007. :(

You have over a year... ;) Even a stock Tacoma would do the job. :D

Greg

Admin
The kind of offroading you can expect... there will probably be a fair amount of sandy/rocky road driving, having something that does well in these terrains is ideal.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
We're stuck with what we can take, regarding dates. We haven't made plans to go for 2016, so I'm thinking 2017 will be our year. Christmas will be my personal preference, for the sake of a little more time.

Can't even go a week later huh? I see how it is. ;)

Post up when you know exact dates and I'll see if I can sweet talk the schedule lady.

Greg

Admin
Ohhhhh, this interests me a lot. I asked myself for the time off and I said yes. I have to see if the wife will come. If not, I may leave her home.

:rofl:

Can't even go a week later huh? I see how it is. ;)

Post up when you know exact dates and I'll see if I can sweet talk the schedule lady.

:thumbs:

Holy crap this would be fun :chris:

Yes it would!

Shoot me a pm if you end up going in late 2016, we could totally do christmas.

We will not be going this year, we're not planning on it and I've been using up my remaining vacation time at work.