Other Region RME Baja trip... ?

Tonkaman

I would love to go to Baja!!i don't think there is anyway I can get permission to have Christmas with the kid though any other time I'll make happen

DAA

Dream trip for me. But going to have to remain in dream status for now. I'll just keep watching the threads and living vicariously...

- DAA

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Need to get kids out of the house first...then will try to convince my wife. Give us 2-3 years.

I think that's within reason!

I would love to go to Baja!!i don't think there is anyway I can get permission to have Christmas with the kid though any other time I'll make happen

Totally understand, for us that's the time of year that works best. :(

Dream trip for me. But going to have to remain in dream status for now. I'll just keep watching the threads and living vicariously...

- DAA

You should go Dave, I'm sure you'd find a way to survive with fresh fish & shrimp tacos and a cold Mexican beer in hand. :)

How would a full size truck do?

It would probably alright, I can't stress how important a GOOD set of tires is though, something with a beefy sidewall. There's a dirt road that we drive often, from South of San Felipe, past Coco's Corner and back to the highway and it's littered with tires that gave their life on that road. It's very rocky, IMO being able to air down and back up is very important to the life of your tires and the ride. A full size truck might not ride so well offroad, as you'd probably expect.

Why would this not be a good trip for kids? Too dangerous?

Or because of Christmas.

Well (and I hope I can say this without offending anyone) I was responding to Noahfecks, he has two kids that are under.... 6 IIRC? That's pretty young for the amount of travel we'd be doing. I won't say Baja is 'dangerous' in terms of people out to get you, but it's a place that is very remote and help is a LONG way off and almost impossible to find, if you REALLY needed it. The highways are narrow and everyone including the big semi's are speeding, driving down there is SKETCHY and there are some towns that you have to be careful in. Now I know your kids are well traveled and old enough that they'd be just fine... but that's something you'd need to take into consideration.

There are other things as well, it's damn near a 3rd world country... things are very different down there, running hot water is a luxury, etc, etc. People down there are doing the best with what they have, and what they have is very little.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Well (and I hope I can say this without offending anyone) I was responding to Noahfecks, he has two kids that are under.... 6 IIRC? That's pretty young for the amount of travel we'd be doing. I won't say Baja is 'dangerous' in terms of people out to get you, but it's a place that is very remote and help is a LONG way off and almost impossible to find, if you REALLY needed it. The highways are narrow and everyone including the big semi's are speeding, driving down there is SKETCHY and there are some towns that you have to be careful in. Now I know your kids are well traveled and old enough that they'd be just fine... but that's something you'd need to take into consideration.

There are other things as well, it's damn near a 3rd world country... things are very different down there, running hot water is a luxury, etc, etc. People down there are doing the best with what they have, and what they have is very little.

Got it. We can handle, lots of traveling and remoteness is our thing :)
Trying to figure out a way to make this work. This looks super awesome. Would a little off-road trailer be too much of a pain or would it be reasonable?

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The highways are narrow and everyone including the big semi's are speeding, driving down there is SKETCHY and there are some towns that you have to be careful in. .

My experience could have been a little more extreme since I was down there for the Baja 1000 and there is a ton of race traffic, but it is impossible to describe what the roads and drivers are like when you are down there......you just won't understand until you have experienced it. 90% of the roads are wide enough for 2 semi's to sqeek past each other and they do it at 60+ mph. Absolutely no shoulder on the road, so if you need to move over because there is a vehicle coming at you in your lane (which is not uncommon) you will be dropping off the road. People passing on blind corners, tailgating plus every other imaginable thing. Makes rude Utah drivers on I-15 look polite.

Greg

Admin
Got it. We can handle, lots of traveling and remoteness is our thing :)
Trying to figure out a way to make this work. This looks super awesome. Would a little off-road trailer be too much of a pain or would it be reasonable?

I don't think a trailer would be a problem, most of the driving would be on highways and sandy/dirt roads. There will be small towns that we'd be in every now & again, but the trailer shouldn't present an issue.

My experience could have been a little more extreme since I was down there for the Baja 1000 and there is a ton of race traffic, but it is impossible to describe what the roads and drivers are like when you are down there......you just won't understand until you have experienced it. 90% of the roads are wide enough for 2 semi's to sqeek past each other and they do it at 60+ mph. Absolutely no shoulder on the road, so if you need to move over because there is a vehicle coming at you in your lane (which is not uncommon) you will be dropping off the road. People passing on blind corners, tailgating plus every other imaginable thing. Makes rude Utah drivers on I-15 look polite.

The impression you got is dead on, Paul. I think there are a lot more cars on the road during the B1K, but the roads are still very narrow, there is NO shoulder and the roads are usually raised 8-10' above the surrounding land so if you go off the shoulder, it's not going to be pretty. Last year I had a bus driving down the yellow line, just into my lane... I moved as far to the side as I could and was surprised I still had a mirror after he went by.... and we were both doing 65 MPH or so and were probably 2-3" apart... :eek:

Well, that settles it. Greg will just have to go to Baja three times next year.

How about I just go Winter in San Felipe and you all come find me when you're available to come down! :greg:

Greg would you be open to me bringing me youngster? Don't worry, she is a die hard adventurer, and a general bad ass

If you're OK with it and think she'd be fine with long days in a vehicle and everything else that's been mentioned, then it's fine by me!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm not sure when, but I will ride Baja on a moto before I die. This trip sounds so awesome but I can't plan 2 weeks in advance so next year is a millennium away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Greg

Admin
I'm not sure when, but I will ride Baja on a moto before I die. This trip sounds so awesome but I can't plan 2 weeks in advance so next year is a millennium away.

I feel the same way, want to ride Baja REAL bad!

I'm not much of a planner myself, honestly I'll have to see how much vacation I have left come October 2017 and see if this trip is still doable for us. We have a few trips already planned for 2017 and I don't get much (enough) vacation time. There is a chance I won't be able to make the 2017 trip like we're talking about, but we will see come 2-3 months before it happens.