Trip Report RME March Trail Run - Moab

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The March RME Run to Moab is in the books and while it happened, it wasn't without a hitch! I didn't make it down on Friday like planned due to unforseen Jeep breakdowns, thought I was set for Saturday but that morning it became obvious that the Willys starter wasn't going to work much at all. My JKU is at the dealership, when I thought I'd be driving it for this trip.

Sounds like @Hickey , @SoopaHick & @Houndoc has some fun on Hells Revenge on Thursday, then ran Top of the World as planned on Friday. @SoopaHick popped the question to his lovely GF at the edge of the cliff on TOTW and it worked out perfectly... I think she even said 'Yes!' :D

Saturday we all met up to run the Pickle, with a few others joining the group, myself included. @mesha was there in his shiny new JLUR, but decided smartly that parking on top and walking in was in their best interests. @KevinM did the same, hoping to keep his clean LJ in good shape. @Anchor_Mtn , @jeepercreeper , @Andy9097 and their friend Tony rounded up the group. We headed in to a very wet canyon and were quickly at the biggest challenge. For some reason I was in front with the Willys, still having starter issues... I squared up to the climb and figured I'd end up spinning, since the tires were wet. I picked a line and bounced right up! The rest of the group worked their way up, some using momentum to get over the big ledge and others getting really creative with line selection (like @jeepercreeper ) who walked right up without spinning a tire! A couple of the shorter Jeeps needed a winch pull to get the front end back down. As we worked our way thru, my Willys starter wasn't cooperating and I killed it a few times. I ended up getting dragged up a couple ledges, then getting pull started by @Hickey. We all got to the last climb and worked our way out one by one. I was over my starter issue so I headed to the truck while the rest of the group went on to run Mashed Potato with @Anchor_Mtn leading the group.

I just want to say thanks to everyone that helped me out with the Willys today, it was quite frustrating for me.... as I've spent quite a bit of time trying to get the starter working right and didn't succeed. So thanks to everyone that pushed/pulled/banged & yanked on my old Jeep today.

Onto the pics! I didn't get nearly as many as I would have liked, if you got some good ones please post up! Remember, you can link from Facebook, etc! ;)

P1015456-L.jpg

P1015458-L.jpg

P1015459-L.jpg

P1015463-L.jpg

P1015492-L.jpg

P1015488-L.jpg

P1015494-L.jpg

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
So we discovered that the loud banging was several broken teeth on my front ring gear... So we field welded the loose crosspin so it didn’t keep falling out and causing more damage. With that in it was safe enough to drive back to Provo and me and the Fiancé are home safe. Just happened to sound like a passing train clanging on the tracks to anyone passing by us on the road.... :oops: