Trip Report RME March Trail Run - Moab

Houndoc

I'm surprised at how much snow is still on the ground on Top of the World.

Mike

Made a great view! And I think helped keep the trail mostly to ourselves (passed 2 other rigs on our way up.)

Great pics @Houndoc , you did a great job of capturing the Super Duty coming down the difficult part of the trail.

Thanks. I was impressed at how the truck did.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Here's my trip report after everyone is over the excitement of the trip report. I'm gonna let YouTube tell most of it.

We arrived in Moab mid day Thursday after fighting a snowstorm on our way down Wednesday night, and my truck throwing a check engine light and derating Thursday morning. We limped the truck at half power until we got to exit 175 where I pulled batteries ground cables. I really didn't think it would solve the problem, but it did! You sure do miss having 850 lb/ft of torque when you are suddenly derated to 400 lb/ft. Anyway, we got to Moab.

My brother @sticks Steve and his wife Christy were about an hour behind us with their daughter and fiance' following. Drew @Houndoc was already in town with his uncle, and they met us at the trailhead for Hells Revenge at 3pm.

Time to air-down-

I led the trail in my freshly washed JK.
(CAUTION: THERE MAY BE LANGUAGE PRESENT IN THESE VIDEOS)

We had just 3 vehicles on this trail, my 2015 JK Rubicon, Steve and Christy's 2012 JKUR, and Drew's Xterra.

There was a LOT of water on the trail. I've never seen so much on Hells Revenge. Lake Michigan is that first puddle after the entrance. The water touched the bottom of my sliders as I drove through.

That was pretty much t for Hells Revenge. We finished the trail at 7:30 and made a mad dash to Zax for dinner. Everyone did just great on the trail.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Top of the World was slated for Friday, but I was pretty worried about trail conditions because we could see a butt-load of snow in that area as we were driving into Moab on Thursday. We had also set a noon meet up time because of some necessary maintenance to @SoopaHick TJ. The trailhead is 35 miles from Moab, so it was worth airing back up before heading for it.

We had 5 vehicles today on this trail. @sticks , @Houndoc , and myself were joined by my niece Alyssa and her fiance' in their 2006 Super Duty with a moderate lift and 35's, and @SoopaHick Anthony and his girlfriend Emily.

There is really only one difficult spot on the trail, and everyone made it through pretty well.

Top of the World is full size friendly!

We soon reached the snow...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Day 3!
We were planning to run Kane Creek, but nobody had a snorkel for their rig. The main creek crossing was too deep and swift, so we hit The Pickle and Mashed Potatoes.

Greg led the way once we started Pickle.

Two warnings about this video... My wife Lory shares her feelings about riding up this obstacle (NSFW) and Greg waits for no film crew to gather.

Now Greg's "Toy" Jeep (as the wimmin folk refer to it) has about a 80" wheelbase and is over 70 years old. Mine has a 97.5" wheelbase and is not quite 4 years old. Air conditioning is pretty sweet, but....

It went the same for Anthony

Everyone else was able to drive up that first obstacle.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Soon after that, Greg started having starter issues so I got in front of him to pull start him.

The last obstacle was pretty tight. Greg took the bypass, because of starter issues. I don't think anyone else's rig was small enough to take the bypass.

That's about it for the Pickle.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Greg was done messing with his Jeep, so he headed for the trailer. The rest of the group went on to run Mashed Potatoes.

I was kinda bored with Mashed Potatoes... Until we got to the Gravy Boat...

I walked up to that obstacle and thought "eff that S" but then I kinda went "Hmmm..."

Mad props to my wife Lory for filming this with such steady hands while I scared the shit out of her.

I thought I had more pics of everybody else, but I can't find the. Anyway, THE END.

Oh wait. Sunday we welded Anthony's front locker back together in the parking lot at O'Reillys in Moab.