Official RME Monthly Trail Run Planning

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'd love to finally do some Colorado scenic trails. How would a crew cab, shortbed F150 with a 2" lift and rear locker do?

Probably OK, but we may have to stay off Black Bear pass with it!

But.... it sounds like July and the San Juans isn't going to work out... I realize it was late planning on my part, sorry about that. What would you guys like to do for July & August? Finding some cool weather and high elevation would be preferable.

Greg

Admin
When would be the best time for you guys? I have Fri, Sat & Sundays off... could take a day off on either end, as well.

We could boondock camp in the woods or stay in a campground with running water. All depends on the ladies and what comfort level is desired.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Given the drive to get there it would mean all three days to get one day of trails in unless we camp up a trail somewhere so that could classify as another day. I can take an extra day on either or both ends as well. No dirt roads for my wife so it's just me so primitive camping is fine. If possible a base camp for a few nights makes things easier.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Wish I could commit to a date. It’s been an interesting summer so far. Seems like I’m blindsided everyother week.

I will be watching and if what you guys plan works out I will be in touch

Greg

Admin
Well, I'll be honest... I'm not much for Summer camping when it's going to be hot out. That just turns me off! I haven't tried to hard to put something together for July & August, I realize the San Juans are quite a haul for you guys. It would be great to make a San Juans run, but if it's hard to nail down & date then perhaps we'll hold off? The only time I really can't do is the 2nd week of August, I'll be out of town for work.

That said.... August & Sept are coming up, Labor Day weekend on Sept 4th. I'd love to make a 4 day trip over Labor Day (Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon). Where would you guys like to go?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Wait...it's minimal dirt? I just assumed it was a mostly off-pavement route. I'd prefer dirt. ;)

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
OK, that's better. I'm still in. :D

I have done as much as I can to limit the "tarmac" time. I have it under 150 miles of total paved roads... the vast majority of that being the jump from Nucla to Telluride(55) and Lake City to Crested Butte(75).

Route(Moab-Leadville)
Day 1:
Geyser Pass
Rimrocker
Nucla, CO.
HWY 145/Hwy 62
Last Dollar Rd

Day 2:
Last Dollar Rd
Telluride, CO
Imogene Pass
Ouray, CO
Engineer Pass
Lake City, CO
HWY 149/Hwy 50/hwy 135
FS 742
Taylor Park, CO
Day 3:
Taylor Pass
Richmond Hill
Aspen Mtn
Aspen, CO
HWY 82
Basalt, CO
Frying Pan Rd/Hagerman Pass
Leadville, CO
Optional Day 3:
Tincup Pass
St Elmo
HWY 285
Buena Vista
HWY 24/285
Weston Pass
Leadville, CO

If you wanted to add Day 4:
Mosquito Pass
Alma, Co
Hwy 9
Breckenridge, CO
Boreas Pass
Como, CO
HWY 285
Grant, CO
Guanella Pass(Now Paved)
Georgetown, CO

Pavement is underlined.

Last edited:

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
I’ve never been to these trails. What are they like?

Most are fairly easy and do-able with a nearly stock 4wd high-clearance vehicle. Many of the trails do have sharp rocks from the years of mining and cut tires are quite common so I would recommend a good AT tire. That being said, vehicle reliability and self-sufficiency is key as this route will go from 4800ft to over 13000ft in elevation through a lot of uninhabited country.

Greg

Admin
Here's another option for September or October.... head to Escalante, spend a 3 day weekend camping. We could possibly drive the Hole in the Rock Road, hike some of the slot canyons (Spooky, Peak-a-Boo), head up Left Hand Collett road and drive South thru the Escalante NM and camp at Alstrom Point, etc. The last part will require a pretty good deal of offroad fuel range. We could also run it South to North, starting with Alstrom Point and ending in Escalante.

Something similar to this trip, minus the first part of Montezuma Canyon. - https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/mont...oint-left-hand-collett-canyon-oct-2016.111893

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
I haven't been staying on top of these Monthly Trips, working out of town has effected my weekend planning. :(

That said, it would be great to plan some Winter Wheelin' trips... perhaps a couple snow-bashing trips and another New Years Day RME Run? Anyone willing to plan and lead either of these trips?

Greg

Admin
So we don't have a January 2018 trip planned yet, but I want to put February on the calendar. I'm thinking for Feb, we'll make a trip to White Wash Sand Dunes, outside of Green River. It's a neat, open-travel play area with sand dunes, slickrock and neat, tight canyons. I'm thinking late Feb, so it'll be a little warmer but the sand should still be wet and easier to drive for 4x4's. There aren't dunes nearly as big as Little Sahara, but still plenty of bowls to climb and play on. Those that want to camp, could... or stay at a hotel in GR.

Any interest?