South-West Utah RME November Trip - Sand Hollow, UT - Jared Boren Memorial Run

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Do we know if the driveshaft needs lengthened or shortened? Or do we just need to get the yoke swapped out?

I'm not sure if the old DS needs any work or not, the XJ needs to be set on the ground and measured. I don't know if the Sterlings pinion size and length are longer than the previous axle.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm not sure if the old DS needs any work or not, the XJ needs to be set on the ground and measured. I don't know if the Sterlings pinion size and length are longer than the previous axle.

The driveshaft was a few inches too long at full droop, so yeah--it'll need shortening also.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That might be difficult, didn't Trail Hero start today? Meaning it's held hostage in the shop until Ryan returns...

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
ok if you guys can get me the details on length and yoke specifics I'll make the calls and see what I can find out about getting it done.

Let me know how I can help. Tatton's build my 1350/1410 driveline and did a great job.

Would love to see Kev able to drive this soon!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have a nice MORE tcase mount for an XJ laying around that I could donate to this project. I’d just have to locate it... if it’s of any help. It’s a poly block unit that I ran on my XJ and the buggy after. It’s in great condition

Tebbsjeep

Here's another vote for Tattons. He's built two for me, and they are great quality. He's fast at building them too.

pkrfctr

Ok talked withTattons. They are open and willing to see what they can do to help. They asked me to call back once i have better details of what we need. I let them know that would be after trail hero. I'll put a call i to Adams too, hes always been awesome for us at w4x4j.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Ryan and I spent a few more hours on Kevin's XJ yesterday. As of last night, the rear axle is complete. ARB plumbing done, rear locker operates as it should. Gear oil filled. Brake line re-flared and attached, could use one more mount up on the truss somewhere, just since it's a long line. Brakes bled, and took it for a test-drive around the parking lot. :cool: Both bump stop mounts welded in, and one bump installed. (other side was too hot to paint, so it will wait)

The brakes work OK, but do feel strange. I don't know if it's due to air still remaining in the lines, or simply the big 1-ton brakes and a stock XJ master cylinder. The brakes could also use some attention--the rear pads are really thin at least.

At this point, I think we're a driveline away from this thing being offroad-able.

Attachments

• IMG_20181011_185002517.jpg
    IMG_20181011_185002517.jpg
    825.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20181011_191227650.jpg
    IMG_20181011_191227650.jpg
    730.8 KB · Views: 15

pkrfctr

Ryan and I spent a few more hours on Kevin's XJ yesterday. As of last night, the rear axle is complete. ARB plumbing done, rear locker operates as it should. Gear oil filled. Brake line re-flared and attached, could use one more mount up on the truss somewhere, just since it's a long line. Brakes bled, and took it for a test-drive around the parking lot. :cool: Both bump stop mounts welded in, and one bump installed. (other side was too hot to paint, so it will wait)

The brakes work OK, but do feel strange. I don't know if it's due to air still remaining in the lines, or simply the big 1-ton brakes and a stock XJ master cylinder. The brakes could also use some attention--the rear pads are really thin at least.

At this point, I think we're a driveline away from this thing being offroad-able.
Awesome! I'll see if I can get an update on the driveline today.
For future reference on the brakes- I wonder if the J8 booster will fit an xj? thats what I run and it rocks for the 1 ton axles and brakes, took them from squishy to rock solid. If not the J8 booster I'm sure there are other ones for the xj. Something to look into after the memorial run.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Awesome! I'll see if I can get an update on the driveline today.
For future reference on the brakes- I wonder if the J8 booster will fit an xj? thats what I run and it rocks for the 1 ton axles and brakes, took them from squishy to rock solid. If not the J8 booster I'm sure there are other ones for the xj. Something to look into after the memorial run.

I am available to pick up the driveline from GRS and run it down to Agility Customs if needed today. :D

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Thanks everyone. You have been so incredibly.

On the brakes I am aware that I need to do something different. Wasn't aware of it but now surprised until someone made me aware. I have read that if I go to a newer XJ master cylinder then go to a late 90s dodge 2500-3500 booster it works great. As long as they work some then that will have to do for now?