RME October Trip - Montezuma Canyon, Alstrom Point, Left Hand Collett canyon

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
There's a nasty nasty flu been going the rounds out here, it took my whole family out for a week. Lots of shortness of breath, but also lots of snot. So much snot. If your nose is running it's probably not the Rona, but if it's a dry cough without a lot of mucus you're probably right to quarantine.

Not to get too graphic on here and hijack the thread but... no snot, I woke up late last night choking and spent the next 30 min spitting phlegm. Was dizzy enough at one point I felt like I could have passed out. Had a real hard time catching my breath last night, it's not as bad now but I feel like my lungs aren't 100%, more like 50-75%? There are enough signs that I feel like I'll be in quarantine and riding this out.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
And just like that, life smacks you in the face. Major reorganization at work. I need to stick around and provide cover for the team I support, so as much as it pains me.......I'm out. :confused:👎

I know quite a few folks in those shoes at the moment. Must be Corona?

So this is not easy for me to say, but I woke up last night coughing, I'm having a hard time catching my breath and have been a bit dizzy. 😳

I've been planning to pack today and drive to Moab in the morning, but want to play the day by ear. If things don't improve, obviously I'm not going. If I'm sick, the last thing I want to do is spread it to you guys and your family's.

If I can't lead the trip, does anyone else know these places and the route well enough to lead it? If not, I can go into more detail and you guys can figure it out.

I had that issue 10-11ish days ago. It's similar to COVID symptoms but not quite COVID? (my test was negative)

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
\
Not to get too graphic on here and hijack the thread but... no snot, I woke up late last night choking and spent the next 30 min spitting phlegm. Was dizzy enough at one point I felt like I could have passed out. Had a real hard time catching my breath last night, it's not as bad now but I feel like my lungs aren't 100%, more like 75%? There are enough signs that I feel like I'll be in quarantine and riding this out.

Eek. Take care of yourself then.

Greg

Admin
OK, @Stephen was asking about GPS coordinates.... I do not have a GPS track for this route, but I'm going to do my best to break it down day by day with GPS points and directions. All of you guys are seasoned explorers, If you sit down with a paper map (Benchmark) and look at the destinations for each night, I think you can figure it out well enough.

Day 1 - Montezuma Canyon to Big Water. You will turn off Hwy 191 onto Montezuma Creek Road (CR187) at - 37.799814, -109.338349 . This will be a long, graded gravel road that heads South. As you drive thru the canyon, look for turnouts off the road, as they will often lead to neat sites. There are several sites with ancient Indian ruins, pictograph panels, etc. Keep your eyes peeled, there is a lot to see down in Montezuma Canyon. As you follow the main road thru the canyon, your destination will be the Three Kiva Pueblo. - 37.565095, -109.252035 From there, you should be able to use your GPS to route you to Bluff, Utah and find your way out of the backroads in that area around White Mesa. IMO, top off your tanks in Bluff.... you could stop in Monument Valley or Kayenta but gas will probably be more $$ in Monument Valley and Kayenta can be 'interesting' at the gas stations, usualy some Native beggers asking for money, alcohol, etc. You'll dip down into AZ for awhile, but head to Page, AZ and onto Big Water, UT for the night.

Day 2 - Big Water to Alstrom Point. Top off up your tanks in the morning, as this will end up being the biggest stretch between gas stations. From Big Water, head North out of town to the Fish Hatchery Road, which turns into Nipple Creek Road (BLM 327). Follow Nipple Creek road to Tippetts Canyon Road (BLM 325), coordinates - 37.200709, -111.610511 . From there, head thru Crosby Canyon (NPS Road 231) and down to Warm Creek Bay, along the shores of Lake Powell and take lunch there. It's a neat area! Coordinates are - 37.070195, -111.458881

You'll have to backtrack, but it's well worth the drive down to the shore of Powell. Head back up to this intersection - 37.130204, -111.495162 . Follow the Smokey Mountain Road to NPS 264, then South to Alstrom Point for the night. - 37.059340, -111.363643

Day 3 - Alstrom Point over the Smokey Mountain Road and over to Lefthand Collett Canyon. From Alstrom Point, head over to the Smokey Mountain Road (BLM 300); Coords - 37.137556, -111.479975 You'll make a steep climb out of the valley called Kelley Grade. Follow the Smokey Mountain Road North for quite awhile, to the intersection at Big Sage Junction; Coords - 37.456389, -111.505792 . From there head over to Left Hand Collett Canyon (BLM 230) ; Coords 37.461822, -111.481843 Follow the canyon downhill, watch out for washouts on the road!

As you exit LHC Canyon, there are dinosaur tracks that are pretty neat to look at. There is a parking lot, then a little hike up a bluff to see them. Coords; 37.549275, -111.421128

After the Dino tracks, you'll come to the Hole in the Rock road. Head South on the HITR road. If I recall, we camped off the road just after Mile Marker 36. There was a little 2 track road that headed East, a couple miles up was a nice sheltered valley with plenty of room for camping and some awesome canyons, old structures and fun stuff to explore. Go by the Mile Marker more than the GPS location, if they both match up then cool! I don't recall the exact location we camped with Marty, but it may have been here?? - 37.502175, -111.266891 Feel free to find your own campsite for the night, but get off the main road and explore, IMO.

On Day 4; Head into Escalante for gas and head home!

Someone might want to print this off and carry a hard copy, just in case. ;) It shouldn't be hard to map out, most of these roads are the main traveled roads, just look for the road names and destinations and I think you guys can find your way without issue. It kills me that I probably won't make it, I haven't really been out this year and this was supposed to by my big trip of the year before the weather turns bad. If I don't go, I hope you guys enjoy the trip... and please, someone write up a report with plenty of pics!!

Kevin B.

Big hippy
There is neat stuff in Montezuma south of Three Kiva Pueblo that I didn't get to check out as much as I wanted when I was there earlier. I'd like to put that on the agenda please.

Thanks for the coords and the trip planning, @Greg. Crazy bummed that we're not going to see you on your own trip.

Greg

Admin
There is neat stuff in Montezuma south of Three Kiva Pueblo that I didn't get to check out as much as I wanted when I was there earlier. I'd like to put that on the agenda please.

Thanks for the coords and the trip planning, @Greg. Crazy bummed that we're not going to see you on your own trip.

Please do! If you guys have knowledge of some neat sites to share, by all means share with the group! That goes for everyone going. :cool:

I'm super bummed, just hope that this isn't Corona... and if it is, I get thru it OK.

Greg

Admin
Hope it's just a fluke and you can still make it Greg.

Me too, but at this rate it's not looking too good. I'm dizzy, short of breath, have body aches and a headache.... not ideal of doing the work of loading up, then heading out on a 4 day camping trip. At this point I'm just resting, probably won't be too active... meaning I'm out of the trip.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm also trying to map out the notes as best as possible. Looks like we'll be good. Super bummed to miss you on this trip, Greg. I hope you get better fast.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Well, I'm out too. I've been feeling kinda "meh" since last night, achy and tired. And then:
IMG_20201014_120330013.jpg

I can't cancel my hotel reservation, they say they need 48 hours notice. So if anyone wants a room, there will be a single king room available.