RME October Trip - Montezuma Canyon, Alstrom Point, Left Hand Collett canyon

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I’m running a handheld 10meter.......haven’t taken the test yet though. 🤔

The test isn't that difficult to get a Technician license. There is a small band at 10 m which is legal for Technician. The follow up to get the General license isn't terribly difficult either, which opens up many bands for legal use.

That said, for emergency purposes, anyone can broadcast on the HAM bands.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Oh, I preran the Montezuma Canyon section of this on Thursday to refresh my memory (mostly the exit, gets a little confusing) and the Cottonwood trees in the canyon bottom are just starting to change colors. I really hope that our timing will be great with Fall colors settling in.

lhracing

Oh, I preran the Montezuma Canyon section of this on Thursday to refresh my memory (mostly the exit, gets a little confusing) and the Cottonwood trees in the canyon bottom are just starting to change colors. I really hope that our timing will be great with Fall colors settling in.

I have been looking on GAIA at the trail in the canyon, where are you planning to exit?

Greg

Admin
I have been looking on GAIA at the trail in the canyon, where are you planning to exit?

From CR 146 Montezuma Creek Rd to CR 446 Hovenweep Rd to 191. There are a few roads back in there that look similar, lots of gravel road miles and I didn't fully remember exactly how we exited when I made this trip 4 years ago. I didn't want to get lost while leading a big group... but after prerunning it again, we're good!

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I just installed my radio yesterday, don't have it programmed yet but don't have 146.460 apparently.... but I do have 151.625!
you should have a way to directly enter the frequency. That said, Colorado's band plan separates the 2m channels by 15 KHz while Utah uses 20 KHz.
Some (most?) radios have a setting for 5 or 10 KHz when manually dialing in the frequency. 5 KHz would work for both while 10 KHz would get you all of Utah's channels but only half of Colorado's

Greg

Admin
you should have a way to directly enter the frequency. That said, Colorado's band plan separates the 2m channels by 15 KHz while Utah uses 20 KHz.
Some (most?) radios have a setting for 5 or 10 KHz when manually dialing in the frequency. 5 KHz would work for both while 10 KHz would get you all of Utah's channels but only half of Colorado's

I've tried manually dialling in that channel but it simply won't let me go there. I really don't have a chance to mess with it, as I am out of state working for the next 8 days.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Really.... really.... really hate to be this guy. But I've had a transfer request in since April, guess what call I got today....... So I have to move 3500 miles in two weeks across an ocean. Piss poor timing. Hopefully someone can be ready to take my spot because unfortunately I have to bail. So sad, trip is going to be rad.

Greg

Admin
Really.... really.... really hate to be this guy. But I've had a transfer request in since April, guess what call I got today....... So I have to move 3500 miles in two weeks across an ocean. Piss poor timing. Hopefully someone can be ready to take my spot because unfortunately I have to bail. So sad, trip is going to be rad.

Hey, it happens... congrats on the job transfer. Keep us posted on the move!

@bryson , I know its short notice but if you still want to go, you're up!