RME October Trip - Montezuma Canyon, Alstrom Point, Left Hand Collett canyon

lhracing

I just installed my radio yesterday, don't have it programmed yet but don't have 146.460 apparently.... but I do have 151.625!

Were you able to get your radio on 146.460?

I was looking at the 151.625 and I think it is out side of the 2 meter amateur radio band which I believe is 144-148 mhz. If I am misreading the band plan can someone please correct me.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

I was looking at the 151.625 and I think it is out side of the 2 meter amateur radio band which I believe is 144-148 mhz. If I am misreading the band plan can someone please correct me.

No, I'm out of state working and won't be back until the day before the trip.

TEAM FRED

Not sure on legality but we commonly use this frequency while on our off-road adventures and have not had any issues. This frequency is called Weatherman on all of my race radio setups.

lhracing

Not sure on legality but we commonly use this frequency while on our off-road adventures and have not had any issues. This frequency is called Weatherman on all of my race radio setups.

I have seen where it is called Weatherman but my Yaseu documentation indicates that it won't transmit outside 144-148mhz. It will however receive.

Greg

Admin
How much time do we plan to have at the water near Alstrom point. I’m deciding wether or not to pack some water toys.

My plan was to drive down to Warm Creek Bay for lunch and spend an hour there, before continuing on to Alstrom Point for the night. Not sure if that's enough time for water playing? Our available time really depends on how early we get out of Big Water, I'm not even sure of the BLM office and Dinosaur exhibit will be open due to Corona concerns. Still need to make a call to that office, see if its open and get an update on road conditions.

Greg

Admin
If someone else has time in the day next week and can call the BLM office in Big Water, that would help out. Ask if their office and Dinosaur exhibit are open and get a status update on the roads out to Alstrom Point, up the Smokey Mountain Road and down thru Left Hand Collett Canyon.

I'm pretty tied up with work until Wednesday.

lhracing

I just checked and I setup 146.460 labeled as 4WD2 on my radios. I put in a bunch of commonly used 4x4 frequencies not too long ago, if anybody wants the list I can post it.

On several rides with some of the Expedition Utah people 146.460 is typically the frequency used.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Last edited:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
When I rolled through Big Water (and Escalante) in late July / early Aug both offices were closed but had signs posted with the phone number. There were Rangers working at the office so I called and chatted with a Ranger about road conditions while I was standing outside the visitor center.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I haven't fully decided yet, but I think I'm probably more of a Thursday morning guy. If I go the earlier route I'll let you know and convoy. :)