RME Shooting Day Interest?

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a couple shooting days this year? I know that there are several here that shoot now and then, I am thinking about setting up some specific events. I was thinking about a Long Range day, or a long range instructional day and then a separate day shooting from what was learned. We could do a tactical weapon day and a pistol day. I would also be good to set up a possible discounted defensive pistol course.

If there is enough interest I will start working on getting some dates together, if there are only a few people I will just get with them.

For long range I am thinking out to 800 or 1000 yards, any longer than that will take more time. I am pretty confident that most people can get on 18" target at 800 yards with just gathering the right data.

Reply with any interest and what gun you would plan on using and also a little bit about your experience.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
This would be fun.
I've only got typical target experience, 200yrd at most.
Have a .243 for long distance.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Scheduling is always tough for me, but I really like the idea. I'd love to learn to shoot long-range, but all I have with potential to be usable at distance is a .270 with a crap scope. I think I'd also like the defensive pistol course.

Pile of parts

I'd be interested in long range, and I'd consider anything over 400 yds long range. I have a .308 with not much of a scope and a 7mm mag with a much better scope. It would be fun to learn the principles and play around with them on some targets. I'm probably not available on a weekend until the end of February.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
My thoughts on long range would be to possible take a few people out at a time and gather data, to shoot at the longer ranges there are a few things that can really come into play. We need to make sure that the scope is mounted correctly and that the reticle is level, we need to know scope height, we need to know the speed of the bullet, length of the bullet and its B.C.
After gathering data and getting things set up we would go to the North Springs shooting range where they have steel from a couple hundred yards out to 1000 and even a mile.

All of these things can then be entered into the ballistic calculator and we will have a pretty dang close starting point. lots of guns these days have an adjustable trigger, but even without rigger work we can clean it up and add a good lube and have a better trigger feel.

In the end maybe we cant get you out to 800 or 1000 yards, but I can guarantee we can improve how you shoot and if all out fails ill let you shoot one of mine just so you get the experience.

I will talk to a friend and see what kind of deal we can work on a defensive pistol course, im sure if we can get 5 or 6 people to do it he will make it affordable. Keep in mind that most of these type of courses usually run in the several hundreds of dollars range, but I will sweet talk him to do it.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have nothing worth trying to shoot long range, but it sounds fun otherwise. :) I would like any other shooting time though, pistol or shorter-range rifle.

tv_larsen

I'm interested, it depends on when you do it (and Price is 200 miles from me) - but it's something I definitely want to learn a lot more about.

I've competed in VIMBAR and VIMBAR Sniper matches a few times, also a Hunter Rifle match to ~660 yards with a Sako .243 (Vortex Viper 4-12 BDC scope) a couple times. I have the Strelok app on my phone for the .243, but I'm using factory ammo and I'm guessing the wind, the BC and the MV.

Last edited:

dutchman

KI7KSV
I'm interested as well. Don't have any experience with anything further than a couple hundred yards. A defensive pistol/rifle course would be good. I took a defensive pistol course a couple years ago, it'd be good to refresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
1000 yards :eek: yeah I definitely don't have anything that can group 18" that far lol. Me personally I'm more into trap shooting. I have an electric clay pigeon thrower on a receiver hitch mount I could bring if anyone is interested in shotgun shooting.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Most people don't think they can shoot that far, but it isn't that hard. I saw a guy with a M1 Garand hit a Milk jug at 1000 yards, I shoot my 204 that far, and people do it with 223 all the time.
The M1 Garand set up was like this, maybe the same gun... Im not talking about a Milk Jug here, and probably not 1000 yards. But I think for most people it can be done.

garand.jpg

DAA

I don't have any fast twist barrels left, everything is slow twist and light bullets. So I'll need a really nice day to shoot at distance. I'd like a really nice day for it anyway though :). Probably break out the .17 and some 30's just for grins :D.

- DAA

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I love this idea, I have a Stevens .243 and would love to see how accurate I can be at 600+ yrds.

I would also love some pistol & tactical training for my .40 and AR15, would be more than willing to pay for a day or 2 of training.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have never shot long distances. It sounds like something I would like. I have guns that can get out that far, but not the skills.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I can get us into the FARM facility or wasatch wing and clay (both west of Lehi towards 5-mile area) FARM has a 400 yd range and lots of pistol ranges. WWC has pistol but I'm not sure if they have their long distance range ready yet. Let me know if there is interest in those places.

Coco

I would be interested in defensive handgun training (always a good idea to keep trained on that), long range, and skeet shooting is always fun as well. I have done a defensive training day with SGUSA a year or so ago, but would definitely like to get more training in. I haven't ever shot long range, but I have always wanted too. I just finished building an AR, so I need to sight in my iron sights, and I plan to get an EOTech really soon for it as well, but would still like to learn the ways of long range shooting, adjusting sights, etc. The rifle stuff is all new too me.

For defensive I would bring my Glock 23, long range the AR, and my pump shottie for clays.

Facebook-Grunt-Nation-2f2c64.png

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I would be interested in pistol target shooting 9 mm and 22 LR and Short. I have a connection at the Farm if that would help.