Northern Utah RME Snow Run?

DAA

So I think I am in favor of the west desert. Jumping off near Vernon. There are just tons of options out there, from low to high, depending on snow. Not too far to travel for a day trip. Easy to get to and find.

I have a route in mind, but we won't be tied to it. If there isn't enough snow, we'll search out more higher up. If we can't make it over the top as planned, we'll find a mid elevation route. Just find some fun stuff, it shouldn't be hard. As long as we actually get some snow in the next couple of weeks.

So, say meet at 8:30am where the PET turn off is about five miles north of Vernon: 40.1651 112.4295, Google Map.

I'm still open to suggestions, but thinking something like:

Go see if we can get all the way up Little Red Pine to Little Valley. From Little Valley, drop down to Gov't creek, up Lee and see if we can make it over the top to Indian creek. See what time it is, what kind of snow there is, how we feel and play it kinda by ear from there. If we can't make it up Lee, that means we would probably have good snow to play in for awhile on the east side of the Simpsons. From there, could head over to the Sheeprocks and work the mid elevation route from canyon to canyon over to Chicken rocks and up over Cherry creek to Vernon again - should be some pretty good snow on top. Or if we make it over Lee into Indian, head over to Keg mountain and Keg pass or bomb over and play in the Dugway range - some cool mines over there. Like I said, one of the things I like about this plan is all the different options we can choose on the fly depending on snow conditions and time and how we feel.

But how about meeting at the above spot, 8:30am, Sat. the 26th. That sound good?

- DAA

DAA

So I was looking at some gov't maps online last night. I am not 100% sure, the map wasn't awesome, but it looks like Little Red Pine is a 50" trail. I haven't been on it for more than 20 years, but I was on an ATV, could have been width restricted even back then, don't remember.

Anyway... Think we'll skip trying to get up it, would just be a waste of time if it is a 50". No biggie, never ending trails out there, if there is untracked snow to be found, we'll find it. Thinking just bomb the top of Lookout and head up Little Valley to start. It's over 6,000' right there. Joust down gov't creek and then try to get up Lee over to Indian - it's over 7,000' at the top. Ghost town stuff just the other side if we can get to it.

- DAA