Road Suggestion

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Mineral Basin up American Fork Canyon would be beautiful this time of year.

Just go as far as you feel comfortable, then turn around.

Sorry it’s been a while since I have been up there and I am not sure of your 4Runners capabilities, but it used to be a great place to see some sights and shift into 4lo.

Let’s us know how it goes.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Can you suggest an off road experience near SLC for me and my stock 2019 4Runner TRD Off Road?

What sort of offroad experience are you looking for? Are we talking a 4-low crawl with risk of body damage, or a scenic dirt road that might need high clearance and 4WD in a couple spots? Are you traveling solo or with other vehicles? What's your previous 4WD experience?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Israel canyon up to the communication towers is a quick trip (turn at Stillwater development in Saratoga springs). At the top you can see into salt lake county. If it's wet or snow on the ground they close the gate.

Basic 4 wheel drive is needed, I've done it in a stock Sequoia, as long as you don't leave the road it has no risk of damage.

Last edited:

Gordray

Thanks for suggestions. I don’t want body damage but I would like to try crawl. Think I’ll try mineral basin.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Oh. I have no off road experience and traveling alone with my girlfriend.
Maybe avoid Mineral Basin with no experience. Watch for some upcoming trips and try to go with a group so you can get some experience and advice from others, and get educated on what not to do regarding trail etiquette and land use.

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Thanks for suggestions. I don’t want body damage but I would like to try crawl. Think I’ll try mineral basin.
Maybe avoid Mineral Basin with no experience. Watch for some upcoming trips and try to go with a group so you can get some experience and advice from other, and get educated on what not do do regarding trail etiquette and land use.

moab_cj5 makes a good point, you will likely turn around before you get to "mineral basin" but go up past Tibble Fork, stay on the road/trail, and enjoy the view.

Commericials make it look way too "cool" to take your rig off the road, but it only leads to areas being shut down because "OHV users" can't stay on the trail... :rolleyes:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'd check out FR 056 if it's still open. Squaw Peak Rd is a great drive to see leaves changing, if the road is still open (closed Oct-Jun). Another vote for Israel Canyon as well..

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Squaw Peak Road is a great suggestion. Itll give you a little taste of a smooth dirt road, a rough dirt road, and some cool scenery. Hobble Creak Canyon to Strawberry is fun too. You'll learn how comfortable it can be to air down.