Roads in Big Cottonwood....

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Jul/07312003/utah/79908.asp

Funny how "we don't want to take away the piece and quiet from the skiers". The roads in question are all old mining ROADS, that the GOVERNMENT let get dilapidated over the years, now the county wants them back (so do I) and Salt Lake City is saying No...

Funny thing is...without mining in Big and Little Cottonwood, Park City, etc... There would be NO ski-resorts... I beleive Canyons propery is old mine propery as well....

I want the county to take control of these roads.. RS2477 works!

:D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
That is a pretty interesting article. I 'enjoy' the quote from 'Cutler'..........points out some arrogance and percieved ownership, IMHO

Last edited:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
If the county wants them back it is not so we can wheel on them. Their record of being bought and sold by large developers is well known. I don't think you will ever legaly wheel in the Cottonwood canyons again. I also think that is a good thing.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by bobdog
I don't think you will ever legaly wheel in the Cottonwood canyons again. I also think that is a good thing.

as do I, this is our drinking water we are talking about.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
He he he! It's green, right?

Respectfully, I disagree.

Where do you think all the spilled antifreeze and dripped oil off of vehicles (cars, busses, etc.) goes when said fluids spill on the paved highway? That's right, into the stream. Saying it is a watershed is an absolute joke.

Stopping ATV use on dirt roads becasue of "spilled fliuds" is ludicrous. The ONLY negative affect of OHV use in side canyons of Big Cottonwood, for instance, is erosion. OK, and air pollution, so there's two. Erosion is easily managed and controlled. Air pollution would be so inconsequential and minimal that it too is really a non issue. Some greenies would probably bring up noise pollution but I think that is only an issue in their narrow minds. Animals are less spooked my motors than people walking.

EZ

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Shawn
...as do I, this is our drinking water we are talking about.

Who gets their water from Big C besides Salt Lake City, I know Sandy gets theirs from Little C, Bells and a few wells.

I don't understand how BC and LC are different from American Fork, Spanish, Provo, etc... Why do they not have problems with vehicles in the water, that is one complaint I have never heard about AF, (besides the obvious arsenic problem)

How can water from Deer Creek (boaters, swimmers, pee'ers) be used for drinking water if they are so worried about Big and Little?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The Cottonwood canyons are different than AF. They were never great offroad destinations. Where exactly do you want to wheel up there?

my4thjeep

Unnatural erosion in the watershed is what is bad. Its not the pollutions from motorized vehicles the city water is purified before going to our tap (allegedly).

Think of the watershed as a water purifier. The vegitation and soils work together to remove impurities from the rain/snow. It also slows the run off so that the snow we receive slowly comes to us. Large scale erosion can mess up this process. Look at what the flood did to Thistle. It can also mess up the water delivery system. I think one of the other big issues with erosion is its ugly.

I do think that it can be controlled like they do in AF Canyon. However there is big money up the Cottonwood Canyons that fight everything and anything. Look how long it took Snowbird to get approval for their lift in mineral basin.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by bobdog
The Cottonwood canyons are different than AF. They were never great offroad destinations. Where exactly do you want to wheel up there?

Mineral Fork,
Days Fork
Silver Fork,
Honeycomb Fork

All offer great views, climb high and end up at scenic mining sites. There were awesome roads in BC and LC long before AF. There is still an old mining road theat goes over BC into LC... that would be cool.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by my4thjeep
...I do think that it can be controlled like they do in AF Canyon. However there is big money up the Cottonwood Canyons that fight everything and anything. Look how long it took Snowbird to get approval for their lift in mineral basin.

I agree that they have big money to fight... but these are all existing roads... nothing new!