Rock Crawling & Poll (New Thread)

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Crossover conversions allowed?

Otherwise, I say run with it. :)

First draft of the street class, go ahead and work it over, what is good and what is bad?

1.2 Steering

Street Stock class is limited to hydraulic assist of stock type components (hydraulic rams OK). Rear steer or full hydraulic steering is not allowed.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Does 1.7c mean no axle-suck winches? If so, the wording there might need to be changed from "compensate" to "adjust".

Same question as BC above, especially since I have crossover. ;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
That definately defines a stock vehicle - I like it too! The only part I question, is the tire size... Maybe 37 is a bit big, 35 might be better? I can't think of many stock rigs on the trail with 37" tires... Seems like most of them are running 33's or 35's (or smaller).

Craig S

Commando
Crossover conversions allowed?

Otherwise, I say run with it. :)

First draft of the street class, go ahead and work it over, what is good and what is bad?

1.2 Steering

Street Stock class is limited to hydraulic assist of stock type components (hydraulic rams OK). Rear steer or full hydraulic steering is not allowed.

I'm not sure what your thinking here Brian, give me some help.

Craig S

Commando
Does 1.7c mean no axle-suck winches? If so, the wording there might need to be changed from "compensate" to "adjust".

Same question as BC above, especially since I have crossover. ;)

I think we need axle suck winches. What are you thinking? I also think steering should be wide open for rams and all the stuff to make it work.

Craig S

Commando
That definately defines a stock vehicle - I like it too! The only part I question, is the tire size... Maybe 37 is a bit big, 35 might be better? I can't think of many stock rigs on the trail with 37" tires... Seems like most of them are running 33's or 35's (or smaller).

35" was my first thought here Wayne, but most all the tire companies make a good 37. There is no penalty for 35s. Maybe the guys with 33s should get -5 points. Any other thoughts on this?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
35" was my first thought here Wayne, but most all the tire companies make a good 37. There is no penalty for 35s. Maybe the guys with 33s should get -5 points. Any other thoughts on this?

Not really.. Just thinking out loud.... Sounds like you have done more research than I have and you also have the experience of doing this before. So I think whatever you come up with is goign to be good for all.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think we need axle suck winches. What are you thinking? I also think steering should be wide open for rams and all the stuff to make it work.

Where the steering says "stock type components", that could be interpreted as needing a solid-axle Toyota, GM truck, or whatever to retain the nasty push-pull draglink. I guess another way to interpret it is that you need some kind of mechanical drag link, eh? :D

About the axle-suck winch, couldn't that be classified as a manual ride height control? (rule 1.7c)

jgb

Not trying to be argumentative here, trying to understand the thought process.

A guy competing in the stock street class (the lowest class) who has a slighly modified Jeep, say a 2 1/2" lift with 33's gets penalized because his tires are too small?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Not trying to be argumentative here, trying to understand the thought process.

A guy competing in the stock street class (the lowest class) who has a slighly modified Jeep, say a 2 1/2" lift with 33's gets penalized because his tires are too small?

I could be wrong, but the guy with the less points wins. So when he said give you guys -5 points just off the bat, he's giving you a 'head start'.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Where the steering says "stock type components", that could be interpreted as needing a solid-axle Toyota, GM truck, or whatever to retain the nasty push-pull draglink. I guess another way to interpret it is that you need some kind of mechanical drag link, eh? :D

About the axle-suck winch, couldn't that be classified as a manual ride height control? (rule 1.7c)

I don't think a stock street rig should be able to have a suck winch. Limit strap maybe... But something to intentionally pull the chassis down, no. To me that is something a modified rig would have.

I'm thinking of a stock rig, something that is going to be doing 3.5 and down rated trails. To me, there is no reason to have somethign like that on a 3.5 rated trail.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
How about 37" max, with -1 or -2 points for every inch under that?

Craig S

Commando
I don't think a stock street rig should be able to have a suck winch. Limit strap maybe... But something to intentionally pull the chassis down, no. To me that is something a modified rig would have.

I'm thinking of a stock rig, something that is going to be doing 3.5 and down rated trails. To me, there is no reason to have somethign like that on a 3.5 rated trail.

Most comp obstacles are rated 4+ and up, usually 5+ with bypasses around the real nasty stuff for street rigs. I would help, but it's not up to me, you guys decide & i'll write it up that way.

Craig S

Commando

Give me some sample wording for this so that Toyota steering will work. I'm in favor of cross over steering with a ram. Your going to need it.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Mechanical steering, hydraulic assist allowed (no full hydraulic steering).

Is that too simplified?

Also, I'm against the "suck" winch as well. However, I think if you have a bumper mounted winch you should be able to attach your hook anywhere on the vehicle to store it. If it happens to suck down the front end a tad, so be it. ;)

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
this "suck winch" is a new concept to me. do a lot of rigs have this? Is it just a smaller winch mounted inside frame rails or something to suck the rig down and have a lower center of gravity?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Also, I'm against the "suck" winch as well. However, I think if you have a bumper mounted winch you should be able to attach your hook anywhere on the vehicle to store it. If it happens to suck down the front end a tad, so be it. ;)

That's kinda pushing it, but I can agree with it...:ugh: The part I have the problem with is most stock rigs don't have a place to attach it to on the axle. Nor is it typically stored there. But I also think that this would qualify as mechanical lifting/lowering of the suspension ride height. So I guess I'm technically against it.:-\