Rock Rolling

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Ok, I have been seeing quite a bit of concern regarding rolling rocks. Let me make myself clear on what myself and other peoples intentions are. First off, we do not want to make any trail to difficult for the guy that has the 33" tires. We would like to offer areas on a trail that would be fun for the guy's running Small tires and the guys running 35" or larger tires.

Lets take Rattle Snake for example,
This is a great trail. However, there are several areas that we can add rocks to get rid of the big gaps that are between some of the obsticles. There are also ares were the big guys can play and the smaller wheel guys can enjoy also. With a little work we can make this trail the best trail around.

Some of us have been catching some flack for wanting to change a trail some what I and I think it is important that everyone knows that it is not the intension to make a trail unpassable for some of the smaller wheeled rigs.

ps. I would never roll rocks in/on a trail that I know ma lead to the closing of a trail.

Go ahead, give it to me.

ewander

Amen brother.....only the rocks that roll, pretty much need to be rolled by a flash flood, you know what I'm saying? The "Rattle Snake" trail is a prime example of a trail that is looked at closely by the BLM. If they see a lot of "work" being done on the trail, I think it's fate will be the same as Charlie's Trail.

Upper Helldorado this weekend looked like it had changed significantly from my last trip up there. Of course there was about 2 feet of water running down it, and there had been a significant amount of rain. Rattle Snake being in a pseudo river bed will experience a lot of change also, and it is totally foreseable that many rocks will roll/change places. I think that we just need to be careful where they actually end up, and as long as your ideology is maintained (ways for the big wheels to go vs. smaller guys) every one will be happy. Being the OHV area that 5 mile pass is, I would love to see some serious trail development. Talk about fun!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by ewander
The "Rattle Snake" trail is a prime example of a trail that is looked at closely by the BLM. If they see a lot of "work" being done on the trail, I think it's fate will be the same as Charlie's Trail.

But why, Why can we not find a trail, just one trail, and make it a 5+?
5 mile area is waste land. The ATV's and motor cycles do more harm than tha 4x4's...
There are pleanty of trails that your average 4x4 can go on, why can't we find a trail some were out at 5 mile, and make it tough?

Can we try to get the BLM to by into this?.

Or am I just wasting my fingers here?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by ewander
Of course there was about 2 feet of water running down it, and there had been a significant amount of rain.

DROOL!!!!!

I love wheelin' Moab w/ water!!!!! I wish I was there! Did you get pics of the water flowing on Upper, while your wheelin it?????

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think since we're using Rattlesnake as the example, and considering the BLM's ever-watchful eye, it could use some slight improvements. Nothing that could be recognized right away as Man-made (or Man-moved), but just some small impovements in the places where you could have 2 lines.....

- The 33" tire and under Line.

- The 33" tire and over Line.

If we can move the rocks by hand, then Nature can move them with water. I think if we keep it at that level, Rattlesnake could be improved so that the guys with 37"+ tires could have a handful of real challanges.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
anyone have some blasting caps? I've been thinking along the lines of Shawn, there has to be a hardcore trail somewhere out there in the west desert just waiting to be found. We need a helicopter. The Hammers were started as just a ravine.

ewander

Rumor has it that Charlie's trail was shut down for exactly that reason. Some one had some type of heavy equipment or explosives making it more difficult.

I think that we need to get Charlie's trail re opened, and use it and the ravines around it as a 5+ area. It has incredible potential. There could be two 5 rated trails developed easily.

I agree with Shawn about the amount of damage an ATV does vs. a 4x4, but I am not familiar with what is allowed/legal in that area.

How do they do it in the Farmington area? Is it all on private land? Rockmnky told me in another thread that his 4x4 group has been working for quite a while to get Charlie's trail re opened. I don't know what this means. Do you sign some type of memorandum of agreement or understanding with the BLM? This could be easily accomplished, stating responsibilities on both sides of each organization, including what is and is not proper use. I work similar issues like this where I work. I know that Colorado uses a pretty extensive sign program, posting proper use and/or warnings.

This can't be that difficult, can it? Maybe the Utah 4wheel drive association is already working on this issue and has a plan in place. I think the days of telling everyone you see to use the land wisely are gone. We need to get better organized, and work together. Maybe I should start attending some 12 step help meetings or something........:confused:

ewander

Actually we had to walk upper helldorado. It had so much water going through it that it would have been totally impossible for my weak YJ to even make it up the first obstacle...the proper way. I guess that we could have went in from the side of the fist obstacle, but isn't that cheating? Mid way, some huge rocks had been moved....I would have loved to see someone try it.

demon jeep

Banned
The farthest I have got with Charlies trail is NO they will not work me on it the just think ithat we just want to tear up the land. So lets hold off on trying to make a 5 out of rattle snake. I got a E-mail saying that I need to go clean it upand holy cow someone must have broke somthing becouse there was oil all over everything and beer cans. So lets unote to open new trails And keep the ones we have open. Iam work on another trail that shawn will love it make upper look like I-15

P

pokeyYJ

HERE HERE!!! I apprieciate that you big wheels still look out for the smaller guy. I would say that rock rolling be done very carefully and with the BLM's permission.

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
what do you mean.... the runoff did it...

j/k try to get permission if possible then go for it..

Last edited:

sukaB

Banned
Roll em.......and en some..........
Out in Delta if you have ever seen the area we did the poster at is awesome and it's already got some serious climbs that will bust some well built rigs and plenty of wheelin for the none rock crawler none boulder rollers...
Take it easy girls.......;)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I'm glad to see that everyone is buying into this idea.

Rattle Snake need to stay some what the way that it is now. As mentioned above, some nicely placed rocks could allow us to help mother nature help us.

I would love to see a trail that is dedicated to the "hardcore" 4x4. Little Moab is fun, and has alot of lines but It Is Not a Trail.

There is no better place to try and arrange a trail like we are speaking of.
How do we get the BLM to buy into this?

Adopt a trail?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by sukaB
Roll em.......and en some..........
Out in Delta if you have ever seen the area we did the poster at is awesome and it's already got some serious climbs that will bust some well built rigs and plenty of wheelin for the none rock crawler none boulder rollers...
Take it easy girls.......;)

Been There Done That,

I'm talking about a Local Trail.

sukaB

Banned
Yup
let da rollin begin.......
I'd like to see this rattle nuts trail and I'd also like to see a good trail around here.....
For being in Utah somethings wrong because there should be crap loads of trails around here.......
Little Moab is good for a team Mepco run that's about it.....
I'll bring my go-kart.....