RockCross at BFE during Jeep Safari -

Olaf

Supporting Member
Copy of press release...

November 5, 2007

Orem, Utah – UROC announced today that they have struck an agreement with Area BFE management with regard to the 2008/2009 Skyjacker Pro RockCross Nationals. The agreement details plans to run the season opener event at the Area BFE recreational park for the 2008 and 2009 seasons on the Saturday prior to Easter.

“We were excited when the staff of Area BFE approached us with the concept.” Said UROC President Ranch Pratt. “We feel that this event, held on big Saturday and in conjunction with the Easter Jeep Safari, is a great opportunity to show this new form of motorsport to the four wheeling community. We are confident that the reception will be favorable and that many new fans of the sport will develop as a result of this event.”

RockCross™ is unlike any rock based motorsport in the world. It’s head to head action, simplicity, and fast pace make RockCross™ a strong candidate for a new enthusiast and spectator sport worldwide. Offering a chance for non-competitors to give RockCross a try based on reasonable obstacles with the element of competition is one of the reasons RockCross appeals to so many. “At area BFE, our goal is to provide a place for the off road community to enjoy themselves without all of the issues and controversy associated with some public lands, Said Managing Member of Area BFE, Olaf Kilthau. “We are looking forward to helping UROC show the world this new and exciting format. Additionally, the agreement with UROC significantly aids us in our efforts to continue, to provide this area to four wheelers from around the world”.

Area BFE is a recreational park for many different outdoor activities. The vision of the park has been to create a place where people could go without the threat of being kicked off of a fun little playground!” Area BFE is constantly working to make trails, camping and many other fun destination points on the property.

UROC is the leader in Rockcrawling and RockCross™ sanctioning bodies in the United States and around the world and the first sanctioning body to build man-made courses around the country including Las Vegas, Phoenix, Pomona, Orange County, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Salt Lake City and Portland, IN. Focusing on the sport of RockCross™ and the recreational sport of Rockcrawling, UROC is instrumental in promoting the growth of rock based motorsports through competitive and promotional venues nationwide.

Olaf

Supporting Member
There was some negativity on Pirate4x4 regarding this decision, so AreaBFE posted their release...

For Immediate Release-

Olaf Kilthau
info@areabfe.com

November 9, 2007

Moab, Utah – We at Area BFE keep this private land open for public use, nearly 365 days per year, for the benefit of dirt sport enthusiasts. We do this in large part with our own money and we have a few events per year, as well as donations from the public that help out. We have been approached by real estate developers to sell the land, but that wasn’t our mission when Area BFE was originally purchased, nor is it our mission today.

The bottom line is that we need to raise funds to keep this land open, maintain it, and improve it for your use and enjoyment. Unfortunately, XRRA didn’t have the budget to hold their event at Area BFE, and therefore gave us no choice but to seek another revenue stream. It truly would’ve been easier to have them back because we are familiar with how they run their event. As a result, we approached UROC with the same offer that we presented XRRA, and although it was more than UROC budgeted, they felt it would help us keep this land open for the future. We at Area BFE, feel that UROC and Ranch Pratt have really stepped up to the plate for dirt sports enthusiasts, for us at Area BFE, and for the principal of the right to use land as we choose.

Area BFE runs at a loss annually, and Jeep Safari week is our biggest revenue, generating week of the year. We have spoken with UROC and they are willing to change their event date if you, the public, can provide us with enough donations to meet what we were going to receive from having an event on March 22, 2008.

We appreciate all of your help! Please email us at the above address, for information on how to donate.

Bart

I won't go down this road again, but will say that I think Ranch is a stand up guy that has given a lot to the sport and has been raked across the coals. His decisions are based on business principles and not on the whims and rants of competitors.

With that being said, I also think the Weaver's are great people and they have nurtured the XRRA into a world class series.

I wish both parties all the luck in the world.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I won't go down this road again, but will say that I think Ranch is a stand up guy that has given a lot to the sport and has been raked across the coals. His decisions are based on business principles and not on the whims and rants of competitors.

With that being said, I also think the Weaver's are great people and they have nurtured the XRRA into a world class series.

I wish both parties all the luck in the world.

Well said and I agree, both parties are pushing things to a new level. it will be interesting how this shakes out.

fatkid44

Use Wayne and AllJeep.com
As a spectator only, I would consider this bad news. The Rockcross in SLC a few months ago was only worth our money because we went over the track and watched figure 8's and train races.....That being said, if they get their act together, Rockcross is generally the same thing. But we've never been disappointed by the XRRA events at BFE. I guess I'd take Rockcross over nothing =)

Olaf

Supporting Member
It's official... UROC has cancelled both race days, Friday and Saturday. We'll be OPEN for DAY and NIGHT Wheeling, instead, on those days.