rocker guards

TNT

So I'm finally done chasing all the little problems with my jeep and now it's time for some mods. I really need to get some protection on the rockers. I've read about a lot of people using angle iron for protection. My question is this, do most people just bolt it to the outside of the tub and not underneath? And what would be the best thickness to support the weight of a jeep? 3/16, 1/4, 5/16?

Todd

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Ideally you want to scrap the body mount idea and build something that bolts(preferably welds) to the fram and provides ample protection of the rocker. This is done best with the use of bender but I'm sure you could get creative...:D

TNT

Well unfortunately I don't have a bender. And I don't know if I trust my welding skills that much right now. I was trying to go the inexpensive route for now. I know it's not ideal, but it's better then nothing. I've seen lot's of people that have run these, so is it really that bad of an idea?

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
I ran some 3/16" angle iron on my CJ-7 rockers for a few months. I threw it on really quick before a trip to Delta. I ended up just bolting it to the body. Unfortunately it didn't hold up too well. Here is a poor pic of it:

Delta007.JPG

Because it didn't have any support underneath it, everytime I hit it hard it would just fold under the jeep and take the body with it. You definitely will want to support the bottom in some way.

TNT

That's what I was worried about. Any idea what would make a good support? What do companies like avalance, and sun performance use to mount thier sliders to the bottom of the tub?

Todd

TNT

Perfect, thanks for the pictures. Looks like I'll be finding a way to attatch it to the body mounts. Still haven't decided what thinkness to go with, any comments?

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
My new ones (which look very similar to the ones in the second picture in Get Me Wired's second post) are 3/16" and have worked great so far. Although they haven't been hit hard yet.

Get Me wired

got issues?
I helped floppy fab and install his 3/16 guards. I can't seem to find any pic of the actual process but I can remember taking some. Anyway we started with 10" wide 3/16 flat bar that I think was hot rolled. I wouldn't recommend this material, its a little brittle and the surface is rather ruff. Here's a pic of some I used to get an idea of what we wanted them to look like;
WP8200050.jpg

note the crack on the 90deg bend. I increased the bend radius to 3/4" and figured that would be good but when I sent them to the shop they ended up breaking one, literally, in half. They replace my material with some 3/16 cold roll sheet that was pickled in oil they had and it turned out lots better than the flat bar version. I making some for my CJ6 from a sheet of 10 gauge the same type as they replaced my flat bar with. I'm using 10 gauge because I don't think the press brake I'll be using can handle a 90 deg bend in 60 inches of 3/16. I'll have enough extra material to make 2 sets 48" long or 1 set 48" and 1 set 60" long if anyone is interested.

TNT

I may be interested in the 48" ones, when were you planning on making them? I'll have to go out and measure how long of ones I need.

Todd