General Tech The Mango Bastard - A Rockwell Buggy story

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
That's huge. So cool to see that you have that much help.

We weighed the chassis the other night. 870lbs bare chassis with out the bottom skid bolted on so close to 950lbs total. Each axle was 807lbs with out tires so right around 1200lbs per axle. It will be a 5k girl. We have friend that just got some race scales to weigh things so we will have to have a weighing party.

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
So little update before I head back to work for two weeks.

As Cory posted I got it all painted up etc and back to a rolling chassis. We got all the correct hardware in for the links and tightened them down. Then we got the motor stabbed in and we began the fun task of reassemble parts and wiring. I have been tackling the wiring and reassemble parts and Cory has been doing some needed Fab on it like putting bigger fans of the radiator, maching a block for my transmission temp sensors, and helping me wrestle crap into place.

So one needed Fab thing I did was mount the rear bumpstops, pads, and rear limiting straps so I made them into a single platform
FB_IMG_1537952202232.jpg

Then after that got all the junk back in the trunk. Cory had to get creative with a hammer with the way the fuel tank sat I its mount. Also go the fuel shut off and filter etc mounted in

FB_IMG_1537952228853.jpg
FB_IMG_1537952231644.jpg
FB_IMG_1537952215335.jpg

And while he was doing that I was getting blisters on my fingers from all the damn wiring. Got most of the sensors etc for the motor ran down the passenger side due to I'll be running all the front hydro stuff on the driver side. over all I'm pretty happy with my rats nest of wiring. Under the dash could be cleaner but eh. First build.

FB_IMG_1537952226078.jpg
FB_IMG_1537952244300.jpgFB_IMG_1537952237997.jpg

All the gauges, stereo, and lights wired in
FB_IMG_1537952248783.jpg
FB_IMG_1537952252253.jpg
FB_IMG_1537952255610.jpg

_Auzzy_

And here's the trans/atlas wrestled in by Cory mostly.
FB_IMG_1537952235061.jpg

After this I did some more wiring to the abck of the chassis like the fans wires, rear steer, winch conrtols, lights, fuel pump, etc. Also got the brake lines done with an allstar line lock aka park brake worked into it also pictured is the neat transmission sensor block Cory tiggered up.

FB_IMG_1537952205696.jpg

Then I got the winters shifter in and adjusted up with my Harley peg shifter

FB_IMG_1537952209169.jpg

And also got the exhaust all wrapped up and in. Front tubes are orange and the rear is silver ish. Was all supposed to be orange but I've lost a roll.
FB_IMG_1537952212096.jpg

Then I'm needing some guidance here. We got it running. All fluids etc checked and fired up. It's having an issue of running rich and idol is surging a little and staying right around 1200-1500 with small back fires every now and then. Tested all sensors, adjusted the tps to it's specified range, fuel pressure is perfect, no vacuum leaks or intake leak. Haven't checked timing yet, and haven't checked the ecms temp switch it have noticed it seems to spray a little more fuel down the driver side than the passenger. Replaced the injector, made sure all the passages were clean and clear and still does it. Any thoughts? Oh and I wired in a 3 wire o2 sensor and it's reading good too

_Auzzy_

And here's a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.

My beautiful Hughes torque converter to compliment their valve body I put in. Stall range is 2200-2400
FB_IMG_1537954316469.jpg

Gorgeous th400hd

FB_IMG_1537954320968.jpg

Then this cute little back up light switch we rigged up.

FB_IMG_1537954326332.jpg

Then my rock lights. Pretty decent little guys, will have about 14 all around the bottom.

FB_IMG_1537954334317.jpg
FB_IMG_1537954330017.jpg

Then there's the dome/luggage lights.

FB_IMG_1537954353825.jpg
FB_IMG_1537954364452.jpg

And then finally my little stereo system.

FB_IMG_1537954350712.jpg

Bart

WOW, that's a ton of work. If you're not careful you'll be in a running buggy before too long. Nice job. To me that missing sounds like an O2 sensor, but I'm guessing you had those deleted from your ECM.

_Auzzy_

WOW, that's a ton of work. If you're not careful you'll be in a running buggy before too long. Nice job. To me that missing sounds like an O2 sensor, but I'm guessing you had those deleted from your ECM.

The O2 is a brand new ac Delco 3wire that is supposed to be in the 14.7 range like the factory single wire. All the sensors minus the spark control module are new bwd or ac Delco. I'm thinking it's one of three things, bad ecm coolant sensor, bad timing, or bad ground

Last edited:

_Auzzy_

About to be on my way home and here's the plans for this home time:

Figure out motor issue, pretty sure it's timing but we'll see.
Get all links adjusted and square up the suspension.
Get the hydro lines built
Finish up wiring
Check all fluids
Get drivelines in
Finish up brakes
Finish putting interior in

And on another spectrum of updates, hot parts ordered like coil springs, SFI approved and dated harnesses, and rear winch rope. Crappy part is that the coil springs are coming all split up. PAC Springs only had 4 out of the 8 I need in stock and the rest are on back order till Lord knows when.

Anyways stay tuned.

_Auzzy_

Spent some time on the motor today, reset the timing to TDC and 0 advance. Ran it up to 4 degrees, cranked down the distributor, plugged in the bypass and she ran a little better, stayed around 1200-1000rpms. While it ran I re did the spray around the manifold test and found a tiny leak on the driver side of the TBI to manifold adapter plate. Pulled it apart, made a new gasket, still idoling high.

After this I took to the internet and started checking sensors. Everything was checking out fine on the harness end and then it started idoling up and down from 1500 to nearly dieing. During this I kept hearing a clicking noise from the TBI and saw the IAC pushing in and out quickly. I pulled it out, got a new one, and Bam! Runs just fine now!!

Also got in my 4 coils from PAC that they had in stock. Now the waiting game for the next 4!

_Auzzy_

so due to my home time getting raped by a bunch of randomness, i barely got the front hoses built and steering bled out, 3 full turns from lock to lock on it. got the motor issue figured thankfully, new light bar on to replace the old single row rigid that half the light are out on, and some othr randomness. next time im home its going to be alot better and hopefully out of the garage!

_Auzzy_

So here's the plan, I'm bound home for 2 weeks starting Thursday, parts in bound include :

Last of my PAC springs
Bunch of heat protection stuff for around my motor and headers
Some other misc crap
And cause my boss kicks all ass, 5-44" pitbull rockers.

Then some stuff on the side I'll be doing a write up on a gooseneck trailer I'm picking up plus my new tires for my Titan, the pitbull a/t hardcore tires.

Stay tuned

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
We have had it out 4 times meow. And have finished/changed things on it inbetween each time. I think we are going out again today. I'll bug him to post some pics. Maybe i'll get a video. So far everything has worked great. Its a gigantic beast.

_Auzzy_

Here's the updates for it.

Well she's up and moving! Here's some small and large details on how it went down :

So being it's a heat pumping big block and stuff is close I've been wrapping alot of stuff in heat protection Like water lines, wires, etc. Samples :
FB_IMG_1542428146169.jpg
FB_IMG_1542428149090.jpg
Eventually I want to pull the headers off and have them ceramic coated for heat and life prolonging.

Then I finished up some other electrical things like wiring the rear end for rocklights, tail lights, reverse light, winch, kill switch fans, return to center module, other stuff too.

FB_IMG_1542428152659.jpg

FB_IMG_1542428156650.jpg

FB_IMG_1542428159587.jpg
FB_IMG_1542429164366.jpg

So then some not so fun stuff. Got the drivetrain, driveline etc in right? Transmission shifter adjusted, everything spins, engages nicely, fluids topped off...yet no movement...trans was obviously spinning, confirmed by the sound of the park pin grinding on the output when put into park
FB_IMG_1542428163622.jpg

Turns out after much examination and phone calls to parts manufacturers we had the wrong output in the trans. It was 2 1/8" short. Luckily our trans guy had the correct one, a 9 1/8" total length output style. We had to rip everything out and take the trans back apart.

FB_IMG_1542428166762.jpg

Got it gutted, annoyed our transmission guy by staying there and watching/talking to him, and Bam! Splines are actually going together and the trans worked flawless.

So after a couple test runs here how it ended:

First run - fuel issue, running hot issue, miss fires

Second run - less fuel issue, still hot, still misfires. Also noticed front end didn't steer as sharp as the rear.

Third run - even less fuel issue, not running as hot, only misfired/backfire when hot, leaking motor oil from all around the oil pan.

Fourth run - fuel issue fixed, oil pan fixed heat issue figured out.

So what happened here is the first run was just putting around getting a feel for it. Was coughing and choking out, but when it caught up it actually got up and scooted. Turns out these issues was a mix of low fuel flow and two melted spark plug wires on the headers through the heat boots. Got the plug wires fixed and figured the fuel issue was we put in to fine of a fuel filter mesh. Went from 100 microns to 40s and fuel/throttle is great! We've narrowed down the heat issue to being the fans on the radiator just don't pull enough and seem to slow down when they get warm. Gonna solve this with two Taurus fans. The oil pan leaked turned out to be part of my gasket was blown out. Fixed it by switching from moroso full rubber back to a felpro 4 piece cork/rubber/silicone. Also addressed the steering issue, all it was is the steering stops were adjusted different. Made them match the rears stops and it's much much better

FB_IMG_1542429667062.jpg

FB_IMG_1542429715723.jpg

Last edited: