rolled jeep...

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
just got off the phone with dave and it looks like the forest service said the first available time we could go is monday after 09:30 and they are wanting to have a person with us... I told dave that if he told the FS that RME members are doing the extraction that it might go a little easier due to they want it done on their time schedule not ours...

So if this happens monday morning who is in? I have to be in tooele at 11 so I'm out but later in the day or even that night works for me... but again I think the FS will not want a afternoon meeting but a morning one.... So post up and lets get this going from here...

(Added Later)

I just noticed that John beat me to it, but here is my post, nonetheless.

I agree with taking a few rigs up and making sure it gets done, and done right. After talking to John, I am even more certain that I know nothing about recovering a vehicle, and I need to leave it to the experts. I have no contact with the Forest Service, so if someone here has a contact, it might be a huge help to contact them, and who knows, they might just loosen things up for us. At this point, they think it's just a bunch of dudes with jeeps going up to recover a roll-over, and if RME has some reputation with them, I am sure that would go a long way toward opening some doors, and maybe even getting us up there this weekend, which I know would be huge.

The time they are giving me is Monday morning at 9:30 am at the gate that leads up to the transimitter towers above Ensign. Needless to say, I am not particularly pleased with the scheduling, as I know this is going to eliminate several of you very willing fellows from availability.

So if you can make it, fantastic. I think the best way to go is to just have everyone who can make it, show up there with their rigs and equipment, and we can determine from there what we will need to take up.

And this is just my best effort at organizing something like this....if anyone has suggestions, or can help me out with this, I will gladly turn that job over to you...no ego here. (I've had enough of that for one week)

Also, my phone number is 801-592-7376. Email is jeepnski@gmail.com. Phone is best.

Thanks again, in advance, for all your help.

Dave

Last edited:

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
I have a 10,000 pound snatch block if you need it. My Jeep will be all torn up getting a new suspention system so I wont be able to help. But if someone is coming through Sandy you can drop by and i will have it ready. Let me know if you need it, sorry i cant help. Good luck, and let me know.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It sounds like you may already have plenty of people and equipment but I have a couple hundred feet of cable if needed, lots of chain, snatch block and a winch and am available to go any day including Monday during the day. Let me know if you need me.

Medsker

Hi Medsker,

Absolutely, I need you. I think the more the merrier, and if the FS wants to limit the vehicles, then they can do that...but hopefully RME's reputation will take care of those issues.

I will be there at 9 am on monday, somehow...I look forward to meeting as masy as can help.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi Medsker,

Absolutely, I need you. I think the more the merrier, and if the FS wants to limit the vehicles, then they can do that...but hopefully RME's reputation will take care of those issues.

I will be there at 9 am on Monday, somehow...I look forward to meeting as many as can help.

I'm not familiar with the area...where are we meeting at 9:00 and do you need me to pick you up on my way(If you are North of SLC, I'm in North Ogden)?

Medsker

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Im willing to ride and add a hand but the Heep o' crap is still broken from the last recovery.....

John - if your down this way call me and Ill get this bag back to you lol

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Just explain to them that if we can do it Sunday, we will have folks who do this type of thing numerous times a month... Mention that one of them is a former president of the U4WDA.. ;) Sunday will be a cleaner operation because of the folks with skills..

I hear you. I was just on the phone, and pushed the guy to the point that he got a little upset with me. Of course I will never know if they are just unwilling, or if it's impossible (it's never impossible) to get someone to go up today, tomorrow, or Sunday to supervise this, but I guess that is neither here nor there. They aren't going to agree to do it until Monday at 9:30, and are quite inflexible on that. Since I have no pull and no strings to pull with anyone, (worse than that, I think they are actually sick of me) I am afraid this is all I am going to get. I asked them what exactly we needed to have the FS person on board for, and basically it is the point that it's their jurisdiction, and they want to monitor what goes on.

So I guess what i need to do is just find out who can come, and when. Maybe I have to wait a few days until some more people can come, but there is no guarantee that they are going to have "room in their schedule" for us at that point. My main concern is not equipment, or even numbers of people. I think most of you probably have the equipment to do the job, and I think two people could probably get it out of there. The critical element is having someone on-site who really knows how to do it. I haven't a clue, and have gotten a very short list of guys who do. I can only hope that if I ask enough people, that one of them will be able to go up.

So if you don't mind posting the times you have available, probably from Monday through Friday of next week, I will call the authorities and see if we can get something scheduled with them that will get all the necessary people and resources together.

And of course you can always call me at 801-592-7376.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I hear you. I was just on the phone, and pushed the guy to the point that he got a little upset with me. Of course I will never know if they are just unwilling, or if it's impossible (it's never impossible) to get someone to go up today, tomorrow, or Sunday to supervise this, but I guess that is neither here nor there. They aren't going to agree to do it until Monday at 9:30, and are quite inflexible on that. Since I have no pull and no strings to pull with anyone, (worse than that, I think they are actually sick of me) I am afraid this is all I am going to get. I asked them what exactly we needed to have the FS person on board for, and basically it is the point that it's their jurisdiction, and they want to monitor what goes on.

So I guess what i need to do is just find out who can come, and when. Maybe I have to wait a few days until some more people can come, but there is no guarantee that they are going to have "room in their schedule" for us at that point. My main concern is not equipment, or even numbers of people. I think most of you probably have the equipment to do the job, and I think two people could probably get it out of there. The critical element is having someone on-site who really knows how to do it. I haven't a clue, and have gotten a very short list of guys who do. I can only hope that if I ask enough people, that one of them will be able to go up.

So if you don't mind posting the times you have available, probably from Monday through Friday of next week, I will call the authorities and see if we can get something scheduled with them that will get all the necessary people and resources together.

And of course you can always call me at 801-592-7376.

I'll take Monday off. We'll need at least one other "capable" rig with a winch and whatnot. Where do we meet?

We are meeting at the gate that goes to the community at the base of the road to the transmitters. I don't know the exact address, but it is Sandhurst Drive, and the GPS coordinates for the gate are 40° 47.331'N 111° 53.550'W. My Jeep is stuck about 5.75 miles up that road. I will get myself up there (even if I have to ride my bike) at 9 am to greet anyone who can make it. I'll be the tall guy in the yellow cap.

Thanks so much for your trouble. I am not sure I can afford to compensate anyone for their time, but I plan on at least paying for your gas, to be sure.

Hopefully we will have another offer with a vehicle that can make that time.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm not going to be online until probably Sunday. I haven't bailed, but just in case someone needs to ask me something or whatever? I'll check the thread on Sunday to see if we're still a "go"