Roof advice

RogueJeepr

Here!
Looks like im going to have to do a roof. I was told my roof wasn't done right originally and the 2nd was done the same. I had a leak over the garage (thankfully) and had it repaired. He showed me where some of the wood is rotted [emoji22] .

Id need to know what to look for in the valleys and how the shingles are placed. Aren't they susposed to be like the peaks ???
Also what can be done with where the roof overlaps the other (pic 2) ???
1f110d35141d439de65beea44e14917f.jpg

You can see the repair.
8a1aad3eab7583f01c7c4059038750a1.jpg

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Caleb

The second pic is just another valley so finish it off the same as you would any other valley. You shouldn't have a line of shingles like that, snow and water will get up under there for sure.

RogueJeepr

Here!
So I've been checking out some YouTube's on this and if my lingo is right.
Wouldn't that be considered a "California cut" ?
Which is best Weaved or CC ???

Last edited:

Caleb

I’m not a roof guy but I have done a couple and I know from experience that in our climate, you’ll get water up under that in no time. Maybe it’s called a California cut because it’s for fair weather?

pELYgroso

'Merica
A California cut is different and the best way to do a valley. Much safer and easier to repair of ever needed. A woven valley can be done well also but if it isn't done perfectly is very difficult to repair. Most people don't know how to do them correctly. The valley in the second pic is definitely installed wrong. I hope that's not the repair that was just done...it will leak. Probably this winter. The way the shingles overlap at the bottom of the valley is incorrect. Where are you located? I have about 10 years experience as a roofing contractor and my dad about 40. It's basically in my blood. :)

pELYgroso

'Merica
Tyson is right. That is what a California valley looks like. That is how we do all of ours. A woven or "cut" valley (the two in the OP's pics) can also be done sufficiently but they're not the best methods. And the cut valley in the second pic wasn't installed correctly at the bottom where the water transitions to the lower roof area.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Guys, it's not that difficult. Just do what we did at Bryson's place, and don't skimp on the waterproofing stuff we found at home depot. You'll be fine.

the right way to do roofing.jpg

RogueJeepr

Here!
A California cut is different and the best way to do a valley. Much safer and easier to repair of ever needed. A woven valley can be done well also but if it isn't done perfectly is very difficult to repair. Most people don't know how to do them correctly. The valley in the second pic is definitely installed wrong. I hope that's not the repair that was just done...it will leak. Probably this winter. The way the shingles overlap at the bottom of the valley is incorrect. Where are you located? I have about 10 years experience as a roofing contractor and my dad about 40. It's basically in my blood. :)
Yeah that's the repair but so far it's holding. There's some rotted wood where the overlaps meet that's going to get fixed also. This is why I want to know how/what should be done when I do get my roof done.
Lot's of scabs out there.

Last edited: