Roof top tent rebuild

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Kirkhams might be able to do it. I know The Tent Guy can do it, but be ready to pay those guys an arm and a leg so don't go there unless you have to.

Is the cover vinyl or canvas? How heavy? How bad are the rips? I might be able to fix it.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've had my RTT for almost a year and have taken my boy out in it a bunch. Hes still pretty young, turns two in August, and I've found myself taking the trailer with the tent mounted on it on many of the trips he comes with me so I don't need to worry about packing it up each morning. I know lots of people think doing that is a huge negative of an RTT but I really don't mind it, but when he is with me pulling my cute little trailer around makes things go even smoother. If I had a wife that camped or that could help in the mornings I might not but for now I'm pleased about having the trailer as an option for the tent.

As far as the travel cover repair goes, CVT sells replacements for $100-150 depending on size. Its not chump change but depending on what estimates come in at might be a reasonable choice to just spring for a new one.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I can get the replacement cover shipped for $175.. So if needed I can buy one.. but I was hoping for a much cheaper option.

Kevin: I believe it is a vinyl top. The rips are larger, but all the material is still there.
Maybe I can find a vinyl repair kit online..

I had a long talk with myself last night, and decided that I will build a trailer. I think it will be worth while based on all the gear it takes for our family to camp. When we take the tent out, we usually end up with stuff on the floor of the truck and in laps.. it will be better just to get it all into a sealed trailer.

rholbrook

I used to take all my stuff to Sugar House but Jessor04 suggested a place in the Freeport Center and they do a great job too and less expensive. If you want the info text me but it may not be worth the drive to save a few bucks.