Rot Box’s Superduty

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
There’s been a lot of knockoff motorcraft parts out there these days! Here’s the way to tell.. see the square stamps? The square stamps indicate these are the good ones. If they have a circle there those are the counterfeit ones. I got lucky I ordered these through Amazon… from now on I’ll order motorcraft parts through a reputable dealer just to be safe. Glow plugs are not something you take chances with. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again NO autolites!

D09E7679-9BCC-4ECD-ADBA-3D33189A5DC5.jpeg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Oh boy Tinky is alive again! I’d like to say I helped but I think I just got in the way lol. My brother and friend made quick work if installing the cups, injectors and putting everything back together.

Here’s some pics I took in no particular order. The tool worked fantastic much better than trying to hammer them in.

Two of my injectors had serious pitting on the seal surfaces—bad enough I don’t know how they didn’t leak 😳. Not sure what would cause that! Luckily for me my friend had a spare core engine that he removed from a truck Friday. Swapped injectors (same AB code) and good to go. One of those bad injectors was a reman unit so someone has been into it before. Knowing what I know now I think I should just suck it up and buy a full set of injectors but for now I’m going to run it.

Took some time to flush out the coolant but I think it’s good to go.

One thing I’m glad we did was crank the engine over with the injectors out of it. There was a lot of oil in the cylinders from taking the injectors out. Good thing we did it prevented a hydro lock.

D70193D5-CDA8-4813-8F4A-6307ED4385F4.jpeg2F13031D-A117-4DCC-97A2-596BD55160F6.jpeg6BADDADC-9ECD-40B9-9E96-7490D003EF43.jpeg0D6DB2CE-E46D-42A9-8367-2A751691EE26.jpeg2527A684-AFF6-4661-AF02-694533EF27F1.jpeg

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Wow, that injector is corroded! I wonder if coolant got to it somehow. When I replaced the o-rings on my injectors, I used a vacuum fluid evacuator to suck all the oil out of the heads. Then I cranked it a few turns with the glow plugs out to make sure the cylinders were dry. It did the job, but I had lots of cranking later to get the oil back in the heads. It ran rough for a short bit. The engine finally cleared up once I got it to the highway and ran it hard.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I was informed on FTE that cranking without the injectors in was a really bad idea because it will push oil into the heads—yikes. I may have dodged a bullet on that one. Put the injectors in and crank it without the glow plugs in is the way to do it. Now I know I’m still learning these trucks and their unique injection systems 😎

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
Supporting Member
So I know you have your new " mini van " and your prob driving that to work, but have you started tinky on a cold morning and drove it yet? I am wondering if it is still gutless until warmed up.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So I know you have your new " mini van " and your prob driving that to work, but have you started tinky on a cold morning and drove it yet? I am wondering if it is still gutless until warmed up.

So the gutless until warm was my ebpv valve sticking randomly when I fist bought it and that hasn’t been an issue with all the delete stuff I did.

It smoked for a bit today during startup but nothing I’d consider to be out of the ordinary given how cold it’s been. I drove it up to Richmond and helped my dad haul off a tree that fell from that snowstorm. So I ended up putting some miles on it going from there to the landfill and back home. Seems to be running just fine I haven’t seen any fuel in the coolant so I hope those cups are holding for years to come!