Rot Box’s Superduty

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Yeah it drove great for the remainder of the drive. Boost was right where it should be and egts were great. Just wasn’t happy with that hill 🤔

I think it was turbo surge but I don’t know for sure. I need to get a new Bluetooth dongle so I can monitor oil, fuel etc pressure and engine parameters. Maybe something is off? Hmm

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Pulled some codes—found nine. Most were transmission related as this truck was originally an automatic.

The only relevant code I found was P1211 which points towards the IPR valve on the HEUI pump. I’ll check to make sure the tinnerman nut didn’t fall off of it (common problem) and replace the valve if needed.

Downloaded the Forscan software and ordered an interface to connect the truck to the computer. Time to get serious I guess… ugh.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Weighing my options. I’m convinced it was turbo surge maybe the E99’s aren’t immune to it like I had previously thought.

I’m betting my turbo hasn’t ever been rebuilt and it’s sitting at 240k miles. This truck was neglected pretty bad in it’s past life and I knew that going into it. It’s still cheaper than a payment on a 6.7 😎

So money wise I could spend $450 for a rebuild kit, ~$200 for a wicked wheel (supposedly cures surge). Or I could get this sweet drop in unit that will solve all of my first world problems 🤔 Pulling the turbo isn’t too hard there’s just one clamp that is a royal pita but otherwise it’s a half hour job.

39E0B625-3077-41DC-83EB-D3A7FDAB5FE8.png

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I take that back.. $450 includes upgraded wheels with a balanced assembly—sweet. As soon as my interface shows up I’m going to monitor all the engine parameters and make sure I’m squared away on those. If it is in fact the turbo I’ll just go ahead and rebuild it. I’ve heard it isn’t too hard to do but I’ve never done one 🤔

7248E071-97A2-46B3-8FC2-2D0C76C51635.png

Tebbsjeep

We rebuilt my brother's turbo on his 99, and it wasn't too bad. We did however find cracks in the exhaust side. After calling around to a few different shops we were told it's normal. None of the cracks went all the way through that we could tell. It was too late to return the kit as we'd already installed parts, but my brother wishes that he had just bought a new turbo because now he knows the turbo will fail at some point.

So make sure you inspect it thoroughly if you decide to rebuild it.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
That’s a good idea Tebbsjeep thanks. I’ve had the turbo out twice now.. maybe three times? Anyway I didn’t notice any cracks but I wasn’t looking for them either. Maybe I’ll pull it—inspect and then make a decision on what to do going forward.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
KC is a nice unit. I've been looking at complete turbo assemblies from them. My OEM turbo has a WW2 and does not surge. I usual run a PHP tow tune with it. A good bit more responsive than a stock turbo

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Wooo!!! Look what I got for Tinky! It’s the best chip on the market for 7.3’s. It has 17 slots/positions (😳) for tunes. I’ve filled them up too haha. I have a high idle feature—nice in wintertime, and a boat load of tow tunes. Couple daily driver tunes as well to hopefully let the truck sip a little less fuel. We’ll see.

Why a chip? Kind of a long story but…. on that hill I’m thinking my truck was hitting the overboost limit (23psi—I was at 26) and the waste gate was opening, the truck was defueling and my SES light came on. By adding a chip I work around the boost limit because it no longer matters. I think this will solve my first world problems 😂

If not it’s turbo upgrade time. I went though all my waste gate hoses and replaced them with new. We’ll see what happens I’m hoping to go for a test drive today. Wish me luck!

9DB338F0-56D4-40A0-A0E0-142760A07403.jpeg

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I run a hydra on my truck with tunes from PHP. Been pretty happy with it for many years. Mostly use the 65hp tow tune, but occasionally the 80, 90, or 100 hp performance tune pops up. It will light up all 4 rear tires on the 100 hp tune (not bad for a 8000 lb (empty) truck)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
You’re right Mouse holy smokes she’s a whole new truck. Went for a drive unloaded and was really impressed with what a simple tune can do for the ol’ girl. I’ve been on the 65hp tow tune this whole time—100 or 140hp setting? Oye my poor clutch probably shouldn’t 😂

Well I’ve got a camping trip planned for next weekend wish me luck. There’s two long pulls that’s really put the truck to work. Supposed to be in the high 90’s again so watching the gauges is going to be the first thing on my mind!

Hoping I can share some pictures. I’m headed to the mountains above Lava Hot Springs in southern Idaho. It’s beautiful there—about an hour and a half away from home so it’ll be a nice maiden voyage. Stay tuned!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Took the family out west for a fun long weekend! The truck still has turbo surge.. right in the heat of battle the turbo starts to flutter. It’s only happening when I’m towing the trailer and when it’s on a fairly steep climb. Manageable but kind of really annoying—thinking a KC drop in is in the near future 😎

29E1F444-4033-48A5-9AEB-C63F5F5CD352.jpeg9312A743-D2DC-4806-B8BC-64058488B784.jpegECD978B4-54F7-4F8A-9B19-B3A7690BA70F.jpeg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Hey fellas! Well I ‘think’ I got the go ahead on either a turbo rebuild with upgraded wheels or a replacement turbo altogether. Just gotta decide on which route I want to go—and how much I want to spend.

Up-pipes while I’m in there… oye. Stock ones suck and mine are leaking a wee bit. I have upgraded bellowed pipes ready to go. Problem is they’re likely going to be the hardest thing I’ve ever done—in my whole life—to change lol. Anyone want to help?! 😄

I’d like to get rid of that turbo surge it’s pretty bad. I think I’m on the right track though I hope so anyway.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Up-pipes weren't terrible for my truck. I used the Dorman bellows version. The hardest part was reinstalling the turbo; getting the little pin aligned took a ton of patience and laying on top of the motor. If you haven't done the oil crossover yet, that made the biggest improvement in making the engine run better/smoother for mine (also quieter).

Last edited: