Rot Box’s Superduty

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So my truck has the ZF5 five speed manual. It was originally an auto but the ZF was swapped in two owners ago. Very professional job they even changed the steering column cover and blocked the gear selector display on the dash which you don’t see often with auto to manual swaps.

Since purchase it pops out of first gear hard. If I hold the shifter forward it won’t do it so I’ve just done that when I need first (normally start out in second anyway). Lately I’ve had a hell of a time getting it into reverse. It grinds really bad and it’s worse when it’s cold.

Think it’s time for synchros? Or are my hydraulics to blame? I have to put the clutch petal right to the floor when shifting gears.. maybe it’s not disengaging enough 🤔. I know it’s hard to say without actually driving it but I’m open to suggestions. Thanks for any ideas,

Andrew

RockChucker

Maybe the pilot bearing (bushing?) is sticking? If you blip the throttle and bump the rpms will it slide right into gear? That could also be that the clutch isn’t fully disengaged too (if that works).

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think that's the same-ish symptom when the input shaft gets messed up on the ZF6. Maybe similar issues with the 5? (no clue, just shooting in the dark)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I tried bumping the throttle before shifting and it didn’t help.. nuts! 😭

The local transmission place told me $1200 plus parts if they pull it. $900 if I pull it—and I don’t want to pull it I’m too old for that crap haha. Maybe it’s as simple as the synchros being shot. Imagine I’d replace the clutch too while it’s apart.. ugh wife’s going to kill me over that repair bill. Just not wanting to spend the money on that if there’s something I’m overlooking.

It shifts fine through the gears great when driving it’ll scratch a bit going from fifth to fourth but it goes in fine. I do feel like I have to push the petal right to the floor to get it to shift though maybe I should rebuild the pedal assembly first and see where that leads?

Thanks for the help everyone

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Good lord let's take that out and put the proper 6 speed into it.

I thought about it but they’re crazy expensive used (and probably need rebuilt anyway) and I’d need the correct hump in the floor to fit it in there along with all the other stuff (clutch, hydraulics etc) to convert it over 🤔 Still an option though

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So I tried shifting to fifth and then into reverse and it fell in like a hot knife in butter! Maybe I’ll just drive it like that for now haha.

Gonna dump the fluid this weekend. Probably a good idea as I don’t know when it was done last.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well it’s been a year to the day since Tinky and I first met. I can’t believe how fast that year went by!

Went to go dirt biking yesterday… started the truck pulled onto the street and it fell flat on its face. Blowing white smoke like crazy! I turned around lugged it up the street and like a light switch it started to run perfectly—weird.

So after riding I was headed home and about two miles from my house I smelled unburnt diesel really really bad. Pulled in the driveway and puked fuel everywhere! Coolant reservoir is full of fuel it’s everywhere.

Looks like it’s time for injector cups. When they crack or get holes in them it fuel leaks into the coolant. I can’t complain it has 240k miles on it so anything could happen but damn this is not a job I feel comfortable tackling on my own. I’m going to call Moonlight today and get an estimate.

Anyone here done injector cups on a 7.3? I have access to the tool I just don’t think I’m up for it we’ll see what the estimate comes back at.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I've not done cups (my truck is around 150K), but read about a couple of other folks doing them. The do not look difficult if you have the tool, just time consuming.

Bart

I had one do that on my 01 Power Stroke, by Page AZ, and limped it home. Nothing like raw diesel in your coolant bottle. I had a Fleet Services in Utah County do it.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
We did a set on my buddies '02 last year.
It is not a big deal, just time consuming.
Not sure if you've done them but now is the time to replace the UVCH's and all glow plugs as well as considering an injector upgrade.

Set up a top side creeper and slap some new injectors in with all the money you save.

I am curious what the quote pencils out to.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So I got a few quotes back.

$2200 from Moonlight using oem Ford cups
$1500 from Northern Utah diesel experts. Using Alliant cups.

Both include all eight cups and a flush with cleaner in the cooling system. Groan…

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thinking I might tackle this with the help of my brother. My friend has the tool I need so maybe I’ll order some cups and injector seals. Glow plugs and uhvc gaskets are exactly one year old so I think I’ll leave them be.

Just need to work up the courage to do it I’m a little intimidated by it!