Rot Box’s Superduty

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
There’s been a lot of knockoff motorcraft parts out there these days! Here’s the way to tell.. see the square stamps? The square stamps indicate these are the good ones. If they have a circle there those are the counterfeit ones. I got lucky I ordered these through Amazon… from now on I’ll order motorcraft parts through a reputable dealer just to be safe. Glow plugs are not something you take chances with. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again NO autolites!

D09E7679-9BCC-4ECD-ADBA-3D33189A5DC5.jpeg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Oh boy Tinky is alive again! I’d like to say I helped but I think I just got in the way lol. My brother and friend made quick work if installing the cups, injectors and putting everything back together.

Here’s some pics I took in no particular order. The tool worked fantastic much better than trying to hammer them in.

Two of my injectors had serious pitting on the seal surfaces—bad enough I don’t know how they didn’t leak 😳. Not sure what would cause that! Luckily for me my friend had a spare core engine that he removed from a truck Friday. Swapped injectors (same AB code) and good to go. One of those bad injectors was a reman unit so someone has been into it before. Knowing what I know now I think I should just suck it up and buy a full set of injectors but for now I’m going to run it.

Took some time to flush out the coolant but I think it’s good to go.

One thing I’m glad we did was crank the engine over with the injectors out of it. There was a lot of oil in the cylinders from taking the injectors out. Good thing we did it prevented a hydro lock.

D70193D5-CDA8-4813-8F4A-6307ED4385F4.jpeg2F13031D-A117-4DCC-97A2-596BD55160F6.jpeg6BADDADC-9ECD-40B9-9E96-7490D003EF43.jpeg0D6DB2CE-E46D-42A9-8367-2A751691EE26.jpeg2527A684-AFF6-4661-AF02-694533EF27F1.jpeg

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Wow, that injector is corroded! I wonder if coolant got to it somehow. When I replaced the o-rings on my injectors, I used a vacuum fluid evacuator to suck all the oil out of the heads. Then I cranked it a few turns with the glow plugs out to make sure the cylinders were dry. It did the job, but I had lots of cranking later to get the oil back in the heads. It ran rough for a short bit. The engine finally cleared up once I got it to the highway and ran it hard.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I was informed on FTE that cranking without the injectors in was a really bad idea because it will push oil into the heads—yikes. I may have dodged a bullet on that one. Put the injectors in and crank it without the glow plugs in is the way to do it. Now I know I’m still learning these trucks and their unique injection systems 😎

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
So I know you have your new " mini van " and your prob driving that to work, but have you started tinky on a cold morning and drove it yet? I am wondering if it is still gutless until warmed up.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So I know you have your new " mini van " and your prob driving that to work, but have you started tinky on a cold morning and drove it yet? I am wondering if it is still gutless until warmed up.

So the gutless until warm was my ebpv valve sticking randomly when I fist bought it and that hasn’t been an issue with all the delete stuff I did.

It smoked for a bit today during startup but nothing I’d consider to be out of the ordinary given how cold it’s been. I drove it up to Richmond and helped my dad haul off a tree that fell from that snowstorm. So I ended up putting some miles on it going from there to the landfill and back home. Seems to be running just fine I haven’t seen any fuel in the coolant so I hope those cups are holding for years to come!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So back in the day I added a coolant filter to my ol’ IDI. I was blown away at how dirty the element was when I cut it apart the first time. Since then I’ve been a believer in them as they filter so much junk especially on older high mileage trucks. Today I installed the RiffRaff kit. Took no time at all and the quality is top notch! My degas bottle is full of crud looking forward to seeing how much junk I can get out of the system.

B43E98FE-F513-4E7D-AB4B-15D1E7F376AE.jpeg

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I've been nursing along the stock vacuum hubs on my F350, but replacing seals and lines is a pain. Maybe its time for manual hubs.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I've been nursing along the stock vacuum hubs on my F350, but replacing seals and lines is a pain. Maybe its time for manual hubs.

Don’t you have to get out and turn them anyway for the auto function? I’m not too familiar with them but I have heard they can be troublesome when the lines age.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Don’t you have to get out and turn them anyway for the auto function? I’m not too familiar with them but I have heard they can be troublesome when the lines age.
The two options for the OEM hubs are "Locked" or "Auto." They aren't real reliable in the "Auto" mode though - supposed to used vacuum to lock them when the transfer case switch is turned to 4x4 mode. So, usually I end up manually selecting "locked." The design is pretty weak as well.

1969honda

Supporting Member
I think in the past year I've redone the vacuum lines on 5 or 6 trucks at work, and I was gone for almost 8 months in Kuwait. Those little vacuum lines like to break at the nipple by the knuckle and the little Ts in the engine bay, usually ends up just replacing the entire line set up both hubs. Its definetly an easy job but a headache none the less.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Spent an early weekend with friends from expedition utah! Such a good time my daughter and I both needed to get out and we had a blast. Great catching up with old friends and meeting new ones.

Tinky ran great the whole time. She even started in the frigid temps unassisted which was a huge worry I had. Cycled the plugs once and she lit off like nothin’ couldn’t ask for more than that.

We both slept in the cab which is surprisingly comfortable. Lots of ice on the inside of the windows the next morning lol.

08ED5BEF-E142-4BC8-B8FB-5F6765D21DD1.jpegBC6786B3-E449-4C61-8A3E-AA5C38D72F5C.jpegA8FC3391-2287-4BEE-8BA2-B92A3C726731.jpeg133DE43A-6D4D-4DDC-8F97-D57EFD185BD5.jpeg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Tinky and I went for a drive today. Nothing special just nice to get out of the house for a bit. We went up the Oneida Narrows to the reservoir in southern Idaho. Didn’t do any fishing although there were a handful of people out on the reservoir.

She fired to life unassisted no stress with the temp at 10 degrees this morning. Happy with all the work I’ve done to it paying off. Glad the injector cups are holding strong it’s a gamble whether or not doing those will work or not—lots of room for error. I still feel this truck has been needy in the time I’ve owned it maybe it’s just a Ford thing but I’m always wondering ‘what’s next’ haha.

That said she fits my needs perfectly.

0D47E5B3-6465-48CD-97E8-9BF5904CB8BB.jpeg90A7D9A3-6B67-43EF-BCD7-1571F42070EF.jpeg9EDF4873-78A4-4D88-B6DF-082ACC715993.jpeg5E0014FD-06AE-40A3-B349-406BD75F6DF3.jpeg2855AD5F-3D39-441C-9133-608874D1CF24.jpeg3CCE1F2D-1D45-4086-AEA0-DCA6F9674246.jpeg

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Oneida Narrows?? I grew up in Oneida NY, the original Oneida... it's wild to see the others, spreading westward with Mormons and homesteaders.

Looks a little cold!