Rot Box’s Superduty

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
A great upgrade to the mirrors are the 2010-style. They bolt right on, and you can upgrade to power folding/extending if you want at the same time. My F350 has them - much better view than the originals.

I bought these, and they have proved to be OEM-like quality. The mirror is not loose and I've had to problems in 6-7 years
I have the same ones for about 4 years now and they are great.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Dang I should have waited before I pulled the trigger. I went with the Amazon specials. They had great reviews and they are the 2010 style mirrors with adjustable fish eye—my factory ones are not adjustable and that kinda sucks.

If they don’t work out I’ll go with the 1Aauto mirrors for sure. Thanks again fellas.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thinking I’d like to upgrade my brake controller. The one I have is not very nice and it’s a pain to adjust on the fly. This one seems to be the go to anyone here have experience with it?

I’d get the Ford harness but my plug is buried under the dash to the point I can’t reach it without major surgery. Will these just splice in to my existing wires color for color? Is it that simple. Sorry for all the dumb questions 😂

4704FC06-488B-4340-83B0-96B960352CBE.png

1969honda

Supporting Member
That is definetly the preferred controller I put in our trucks. Wiring is petty much that simple as well, should be an upfitter plug under the fuse panel cover area below the steering wheel. Finding that and plugging in with the adapter harness is really not to difficult.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a tekpnsha p2 in my 06 duramax. It’s been great. I’ve been looking at this redarc controller for my wife’s grand Cherokee because it is smaller and more discreet. I don’t really want to smash my shins into a tekonsha in it’s smaller foot well.
I bought one of those for our Grand Cherokee and never installed it. I'll make you a screaming deal on it if you want.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'm not sure which year they changed, but my 2022 mirrors look nearly identical. The biggest difference is the spot mirrors fill that annoying blank space now.

I was tempted to get the 17+ mirrors because I liked the bigger fish eyes.. the large mirror is slightly smaller on the newer mirrors as the outer corner is rounded off. Either way tons better than the crap mirrors that come stock on the 99’s.

These plugged right into my stock wiring which was so nice. They’re heated and have signals built in but I’m not smart enough to wire that up haha.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well I took the truck for a test drive and wow what a difference those mirrors made! Super happy with that—well worth the money 😎

My Prodigy P3 controller on the other hand…. Works fantastic other than an ‘output shorted—no brakes’ fault flickers while braking. The brakes haven’t given out or anything but I googled it an it looks like I might have a short in one of the brake magnets or something. I’m guessing that short is the reason I had a fuse blow the other day? I have some investigating to do. Probably pull the drums and get a close look at the brakes. I’m sure it’s due for adjustment anyway. Eh… brakes just slow you down anyway 😂

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well I took the truck for a test drive and wow what a difference those mirrors made! Super happy with that—well worth the money 😎

My Prodigy P3 controller on the other hand…. Works fantastic other than an ‘output shorted—no brakes’ fault flickers while braking. The brakes haven’t given out or anything but I googled it an it looks like I might have a short in one of the brake magnets or something. I’m guessing that short is the reason I had a fuse blow the other day? I have some investigating to do. Probably pull the drums and get a close look at the brakes. I’m sure it’s due for adjustment anyway. Eh… brakes just slow you down anyway 😂
The loaded brake backing plates aren't a ton of money. Maybe replace them all? My last trailer axle upgrades revealed some pinched wires under one of the backing plate nuts. It had been giving me some intermittent grounding issues until I found that.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Check your trailer connector before you pull the drums off or anything like that... Check for shorts/breaks obviously, but I've also seen plugs wired wrong (pinned different for different vehicles or some crap.) No sense in doing actual work if it's something silly and easy!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks guys! I crawled under there and noticed three wheels had two wires and the fourth only had one coming out of the drum…. Oye.

There was a wire hanging near that fourth wheel with electrical tape on the end of it haha. Well I pulled that drum and look what I found! A broken wire right near the backing plate. Wires felt good so I soldered it but I think you’re right Hickey I should probably replace them given the age, low cost and such. I’m guessing the people that serviced the wheel bearings last year saw the broken wire and instead of fixing it they just put tape on the wire. Who knows. Either way I tested the brake with the wheel off the ground and it seems to work fine now. I’m not sure if my fault has gone away yet will have to take it for a test drive.

66966B97-5870-4C06-AE18-68FEEDD75972.jpeg51BDA4E1-7AF7-4689-A88D-FC4044B34AE3.jpeg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well hmm…. I thought the problem went away but I’m still getting the output shorted fault randomly even though the brakes seem to be doing their job.

Took the trailer for a twenty or so mile drive today. Towed sweet! Truck has no issues with the weight. However there was a long steep climb probably a mile long at a maybe-maybe 6% grade. The truck was rockin and rollin until I grabbed fourth. Then I heard a nasty flutter sound and boost dropped from 25 to 15psi. Egts jumped to 1200 and my service engine light came on. She was not happy lol.

I don’t think the E99 trucks like mine suffer from turbo surge like the later 7.3’s but I don’t know what else it could be. Maybe my waste gate isn’t holding for long periods of time? Dunno. Gotta figure this one out there’s way too many long steep hills around here. Anyway thanks for following along maybe someone can learn from my mistakes sometime down the road 😎