RR- Forgive me Father, for I have sinned...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
.... On Saturday I rode a dirtbike w/ knobbies for 475 miles and did less than 100 miles of dirt. :-\

I've been getting to know my new-ish DR650 this last week, working out some bugs. It had some hiccups and wasn't running as well as it should. I changed out the plugs, pulled apart the carb, cleaned it out and made a few 'performance mods' to make it run better. I also washed the air filter and swapped on a new front tire and tube, after some tire issues on the last ride. Last thing I did was to swap on a Moose shift lever, after mangling the stock one. I tied the shifter off with wire, running forward to keep the shifter in place during future mishaps with rocks.

With all this work, I wanted to put together a big ride to test out the bike and see some more of Colorado. I decided to head out from Fruita, over Douglas Pass to Rangely, onto Craig and then Steamboat Springs. From there I rode over Rabbit Ears Pass and down into Kremmling. Then I jumped onto dirt at the Trough Road and followed it to Bond. I followed a bit of pavement to the Colorado River Rd, which was more dirt.... followed that to Dotsero and I70, headed West thru the Glenwood Canyon and onto home.

Here's a map re-tracing the route. - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U....838068,-107.578125&spn=2.522284,5.817261&z=8

I ended up with just shy of 475 miles on the odometer, not bad for a dirtbike! Here's some pics from the trip-

627373278_fVFon-M.jpg

627373563_U7xr7-L.jpg

627373752_3dkLu-M.jpg

627373582_RurGu-L.jpg

627373788_STLgG-L.jpg

627373888_bDpqs-M.jpg

627374255_fJZuR-M.jpg

627374021_ZA2N4-M.jpg

627374450_JhRJY-M.jpg

627374188_JQCWQ-M.jpg

627373731_zuhRr-M.jpg

It ended up being a great test for the mods & changes... I hate the Moose shifter, it's too short and needs to go. The carb works much better, the bike used to top out at 83-84 MPH, it will get up to 90 MPH. :greg: I shared the final freeway portion of the ride with 2 out-of-state riders on new KLR's, it was nice to have some company on the boring ride home and good to be riding in a small pack as it got dark. They got off at the first Grand Junction exit, while I continued on to Fruita.

I wanted to ride more dirt, but was happy with the mix of highway, dirt roads, 2-track and a bit of that killer singletrack above McCoy, CO. The bike is ready for bigger rides, the question is... am I? :eek:

Here's the SmugMug album from the trip if you'd like to see more- http://greg-catherine.smugmug.com/Travel/Big-Road-Ride/9372950_o4Whf#627374243_aujfD

Mug

PHORmerly
Holy Crap! That's a long ride! We went through Steamboat Springs and Kremling on our way out to Grandby last week. I enjoyed the pics.

Greg

Admin
Holy Crap! That's a long ride! We went through Steamboat Springs and Kremling on our way out to Grandby last week. I enjoyed the pics.

I was wondering how your drive went, I love that area! Glad you enjoyed the pics, there's a lot of neat places up there.

Nice ride Greg. What was this off road adventure all about? Relax baby, It's 4wd :rofl:

627374566_pdHMC-XL.jpg

I dunno what they were trying to do, wash the Hippie stink out of the car? :ugh: I just stuck around long enough to take a few pics and ride away laughing.

I did a motorcycle camping trip up deep creek wilderness area outside of dotsero in July. beautiful area you should take a ride up there!

I've been fishing up that way in the past, it's way cool up there! I have wanted to ride up there, but haven't yet. I work up that direction quite often, was up at Dotsero yesterday matter of fact.

What river is this?

That's the Colorado River.... :eek:

Greg

Admin
heheh So, how does that tank treat you? Does the extra weight up high mess with your balance at all? Does it toss teh bike around?

It's actually quite subtle. When the tank is full and you're riding curvy roads or off-road you notice the weight, but not in a bad way... it's just there. I got 370 miles out of the first tankful before hitting reserve and most of that was riding at speeds from 55-80 MPH. I figure I averaged 46 MPG.

That looks like a ton of fun Greg.

It was, Mike! I would like to make some really big rides, perhaps the Continental Divide Trail from CO up to Canada before it gets too cold.