Other Region Rubicon 2021

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Beef up your drag link and tie rod before the trip, or you might end up like @bryson fixing his on the trail. šŸ˜
1607179864478.jpeg
Picture for posterity...

@ebryson wants to run it in his TJ on 33ā€ tires for 2021. We ran it again this past Aug and had a good time again. I think that this year will likely be my last trip across northern NV to run the Rubicon? Itā€™s a great trail and worth doing but this will be my fourth time (assuming I donā€™t get killed by the ā€˜rona and Antifa will let us travel), 3rd time in my ā€œJeepā€. My JKU on 35ā€ tires was JUST enough for this trail in my opinion. TJ on 33ā€ will need some careful line picking but should be a solid match for Cruisers on 35ā€? NV I-80 is as much of a trip as the trail :). Shortbed Fords with 175 mile towing range makes that drive interesting. Sweaty Betty will gitā€™r dun though

I think the trail could be done in a day but traveling that far, Iā€™m going to take my time and enjoy things. A dirt bike/motorcycle might be able to do Loon-observation point back to Loon in a day?

Last edited:

lhracing

I have done it twice, the last time in 2012 in my 08 Rubicon on 37's and that went well. I would love to do this trail again but in my opinion 35's would be a minimum which leaves me out in my current 4runner.

Also be cautious where you park your tow rigs, I have heard of them being vandalized if parked at the end of the trail.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'm like less than 50-50 on being able to go, but just to throw dates out: June and August are no good for me. September would be great.

Bottom line Dave, pick your date and who ever can join will join.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I'm like less than 50-50 on being able to go, but just to throw dates out: June and August are no good for me. September would be great.

Bottom line Dave, pick your date and who ever can join will join.
That is my plan. Many things in flux at the moment that have prevented nailing down dates, but I hope to lock things down by the end of March, early April so others can plan to join if they want.

Pile of parts

That is my plan. Many things in flux at the moment that have prevented nailing down dates, but I hope to lock things down by the end of March, early April so others can plan to join if they want.
Is this trip still on - did you decide on a date? Other summer trip plans fell through for me and I'm trying to figure out something to salvage the vacation plans.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Is this trip still on - did you decide on a date? Other summer trip plans fell through for me and I'm trying to figure out something to salvage the vacation plans.
When my son decided to get married, this trip got cancelled for me. I am aiming for next year at this point when I hopefully have more time and money. The fire season this year has been pretty horrible too. Not sure if we can ever expect it to be better, but I am hoping...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
When my son decided to get married, this trip got cancelled for me. I am aiming for next year at this point when I hopefully have more time and money. The fire season this year has been pretty horrible too. Not sure if we can ever expect it to be better, but I am hoping...
My freakin kid decided to get married less than 50 miles away from the Rubicon and somehow I was the bad guy for suggesting a Rubicon run right after the ceremony. The nerve...

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
We had a planned trip to the Rubicon for mid-Sept. The Caldor fire is getting close to Elderado National Forest and the Forest Service closed the forest (and Rubicon Trail) until 30 Sept....bummer. The scrambler is almost complete and ready to go. May have to delay until Oct