Rubicon "buggy" build...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Can I assume MEJS is a no go for you this year, or are you going to be done that soon?

:rofl: :rofl: :ugh: I haven't started yet :-\

..But in all fairness, I wouldn't go anywhere near Moab when I lived in PG. I can't handle the large numbers Memorial or Labor day weekend, let alone 10 times that then. ...Though I think it would be fun....

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Just spent $4k on axle parts :eek: , so I can get started on the axles....

35 spline ARB's front/rear
ARB HD air lines front/rear
ARB compressor - the large one - as I don't want to use my current OBA to power the ARB's. It just seems like people that do this wind up blowing seals and with leaky ARB's.

Yukon 5.13's
Yukon master install kits
Yukon 4340 35 spline inner/outers and Spicer joints

King pin kits
spindle bearing/seal kits front/rear
Warn premium 35 spline hubs

All new brakes - Raybestos rotors, loaded calipers (Cadi for the rears), pads, and mounting kits.

I think that's it? Doesn't seem like $4k worth, so maybe I'm missing something???

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
This weekend I'll begin by installing the new gas tank and 1" body/mm lift. I'm installing the body/mm lift to get the tub off the frame so that I can do what I need to do. After I finish, if the 1" is enough, I'll move the mounts 1" and ditch the body lift. Otherwise, I haven't already moved the mounts and can do so to gain more clearance.

Johnny Joints are on back order, so in the meantime, I'll get the axles stripped and start building them. My MIL is flying in from Hawaii to care for Austin so that I can focus on the Jeep.

The hubs are on backorder until at least the 1st of May, so no matter what, I won't be able to run this thing until at least then.... ...Chances are pretty good I won't be in Kanab May 5'th... :(

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
My wife has been gone a lot lately, so I haven't had much time to work on anything. But I did get the steering in while Austin was down for his nap.

Man what a difference that made!!! After taking out the old shafts, I checked each joint/part for wear/slop, I couldn't find any. But what a difference on the road! Before I had about 1/8-1/4 turn of play, now there is nothing!

Another reason I haven't done anything tank wise, is I'm not sure if I want a 15 or 20 gallon tank in it. 15 would give me more room for the stretch, but when you are talking about a road rig, getting 10 MPG, that would mean I would be stopping for a tank of gas every 100-120 miles! In town that's not a big deal, but when pulling a tent trailer from here to say Moab.... So I might do the suspension where I want it, and instal the tank appropriate for the stretch then....

Now today I was going to go work on junk, cuz the wife will be home here shortly and won't have to leave again until Monday morning, but now it's raining!!!!!!!!!!! :mad2:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Well, I've been thinking... This thing is a lease and the lease is up this August. Wouldn't it suck if I put ~$12k into new suspension/drivetrain to only have it surrendered. So I sent off a cashiers check yesterday to Chrysler Financial for $16,198.17. Now when I go to tear into it this weekend, I won't need to worry about anything :D

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I was wondering about the lease. Good call. You knew you were going to keep it all along.

Exactly. Especially once I went over my mileage alotment. But the more supplies I've been sitting buying, and watching the invoices coming in, the more I thought I better buy this thing now and secure it.

Now I just need to sell off the old stuff before the wife figures out how much I've spent on this upgrade!!! :eek: :ugh:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I've been working on this thing the last two days. Yesterday I spent the day going over thing that I have (parts) to be sure I have everything ready.

I also began boring out the rear spindles. Guess what? The damn thing won't fit in the lathe! Turns out the new one is about 12" too short!!! The old one would not have had any problems, but it's long gone.... (it was even older, still used the 6" wide leather belt to turn everything. So I ended up making a little something and using a shell mill. As of now, I have one side done.

I sold all of the suspension, drivetrain, etc. that I'm removing. So I spent the day pulling his Jeep apart and installing the SYE.

Tomorrow I'll put the TC back and install the RE crossmember. Then finish boring out the other spindle. Hopefully I'll still have time to strip the D60, get it cleaned up/stripped and ready to install the locker/gears.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I don't have time to mess with pics, plus, I'm not really doing anything on my junk right now to warrant them. I've got to get his done first, then mine. I'm still shooting for a completion date of 5/2 :eek: It has to be done no later than the 7th, as that is when the MIL heads back out and I'll be back to taking care of my son full time, leaving the HEEP to sit and rot, basically. ;)

Yesterday I don't feel like I accomplished anything, but anyone that has installed a RELA before, knows that dang crossmember is a PITA!!! 10 - 1" and 6 - 1/2" holes through a 1/4" frame. It just plain old sucks!!! There is not any good way to get around it with any kind of leverage. I'm also old and weak, so one hole wears me out. :sick: :ugh:

But at least it's done and the TC is back in. Today I'll cut off all of the control arm mounts, ground them flush and paint it up. Tomorrow I want to start pulling axles from mine and installing them on his. His should be a rolling chassis before weekend, end.

I've also been stopping on his and workign on my axles. I've still got to bore that other spindle, and 1/2" drills don't like those shell mills. I've made this drill motor smoke twice so far. But to get it to cut at a good rate, you've really got to load it down. Which also means putting all of your body weight into it, again, at not such a good place for good leverage. My legs (thighs) are starting to hurt, becuase I've been pushing them up against the drill motor and they are getting bruised up...:cry: lol

I hope to have the spindles done, and both D60's stripped, sand blasted, narrowed and the knuckle welding back on by Sunday evening. As well as my axles out and in his Heep...

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Yesterday I don't feel like I accomplished anything, but anyone that has installed a RELA before, knows that dang crossmember is a PITA!!! 10 - 1" and 6 - 1/2" holes through a 1/4" frame. It just plain old sucks!!! There is not any good way to get around it with any kind of leverage. I'm also old and weak, so one hole wears me out. :sick: :ugh:
Been there, done that it wayyyyy sucks, to make it worse, I had to drill two 1" holes in the 1/4" skid plate for my tranny mount. That's all you can get out of one hole saw!!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I'm still taking pics...I'll get them all up probably after I'm done.

Finished boring the spindles, cleaned the housing of brackets and gears, etc, then sand blasted it.

Made the caliper bracket

Stripped and cleaned up the front 60. Today I cut the knuckle off and shortened it up 2-1/8". That thing is a b*tch!!! Got the knuckle back on after heating, BFH, cooling and repeating the process. Then the knuckle was off about 5*, so I made a tool in the lathe to rotate the knuckle without pounding on the king pin portion. Basically it's a piece of solid stock, turned down to fit in the housing. Then I weled some 2"x.25" square tubing on it and some peices of 1/4" flat bar to fit on the outside of the knuckle. I had this whole thing setup on some saw horses, heated up the knuckle, and went to put my weight into clocking th eknuckle, when the housing flipped on me - dropping me flat on my knees on the concrete. THAT HURT!!!!!!

I put the body lift and motor mount likft on my heep today as well and removed the gas tank, rocker guards and flares.

Tomorrow I plan on finishing up the knuckle and tearing my Heep completely apart and put all of the peices in the other Jeep so I can get it to at least a rolling chassis.