rusty yota frame

taloola-yota

Hey, I'm looking at buying an 84 4runner for only around 350 bucks. It is a friend's of mine, and he doesn't really want to make profit off it, just wants it to go to a good home. This thing is in overall pretty good condition, but the frame is pretty rusty, especially towards the back. I got a screw driver and could scrape the rust to the metal in all spots though, and hit the frame with a hammer. The frame is solid, but rust will overtake it soon if it isn't taken care of. Also, I put my finger in one of the hole on the side of the frame just above the rear axle, and could feel and little dusty type rust in there. Do you think that the frame has a lot of life left? I've sandblasted frames before, but would rather not do it to this frame if I can help it. What else can I do to stop the rust? Oh, and buying this thing for parts, or parting out is not an option. All the opinions you could give on this would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
How about taking a grinder or wire wheel to the bad spots, squirting them with Naval Jelly (Removes any rusy left in pits) then painting it with POR15. POR15 seals and stops the rust from making any more advances. If the frame isn't to bad structurally, then this should work fine.

BTW, $350 for a 'Runner is a steal!! If you don't get it, let me know....:D