RZR 800 Clutch

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I just bought a cheap, but well-used 2008 RZR 800 with a Fireball Racing long travel kit. It shows over 3,200 miles on the clock. Near as I can tell, the motor is bone stock other than an FMF slip-on and hasn't been messed with much at all. The PO wasn't mechanically inclined and seemed to like riding more than routine maintenance. I think the oil has been changed regularly and it has a clean air filter though. All four wheel bearings were absurdly past worn out and I'm getting that addressed shortly.

The one thing I'm not very sure of though is the belt drive setup. It seems to work ok overall. It shifts (is that the word for a CVT?) up and down smoothly as you accelerate and decelerate. But, it's pretty jerky off the line, or when trying to do low-speed maneuvers, like backing into the garage or loading onto the trailer. Is this a sign of a burned spot on the drive belt, or something with the pulleys? Other than changing a drive belt once on a CanAm Maverick 1000 I used to have, I really haven't messed with these much. I hear that no matter what it's not going to be as smooth as an automatic or something with a centrifugal clutch.

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 12904

It probably has a clutch kit with a higher stall spring. its a pretty common mod especially on the older 800's

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
So the higher stall (higher RPM engagement, I'm guessing) makes them jump/jerk when they engage? I guess the engine starts to rev then it engages hard? What's the benefit?

D

Deleted member 12904

You know I really don't know the benefits of a higher stall but every clutch kit I've installed ends up with a higher stall.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Just realized I never followed up on this. A new Gates belt took care of everything. No issues at all, takes off smooth as new. I installed it almost without tools. Just had to unbolt the seat bracket.

I just picked up a set of take-off 29" wheel's and tires for this to bump the ground clearance a bit. We've bought a Teryx 4 and are enjoying it a lot. But this RZR just feels so nimble and fun on the trails, I'm having a hard time putting it up for sale.