Sami rocker rebuild

jp008

After bashing in my pass side rocker a few weeks ago I decided to BEEF them up a little. I cut out the original rocker panels and made some new ones with some 2x4 square tubing. All of the designs I have seen on sami's have placed the 2x4's 4" portion against the bottom of the door and the 2" portion stays vertical with the door. This design does not protect the rest of the underside as the floorboards sit about 1" below the steel after you install it. I have decided to install the steel on an angle to help protect the floor as well. I could have used a larger piece of steel, but the little sami motor does not like alot of weight.

Here are some pics. I will post more as things progress.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
not to be an A-Hole but you have a decent rig that is NOW getting sliders. Oh you are one of the ones who say oooops now I need this :D I get it. How do you plan to make the 2x4 have any structurability to the body? Can you run mounts to the frame? I don't think if you just say bolt it to the body that it would hold the waight of the rig. But I ain't a zuk guy either. If I coulda just got some tube for mine I woulda loved it. I had to build full sliders.

jp008

I know I've needed sliders for awhile, I've just been too damn lazy to put them on.
I used some 3"x1/4" thick plate that I cut into 4" pieces, I then welded these to the frame. The reason for the LARGE steel is it was cheap and that's all I had.

jp008

After I did this I cut some 1 1/8" schedule 40 pipe to use as the attaching points. I cut them to fit and welded them to the sliders and then to the mounts on the frame.

jp008

I still need to mount the front of the sliders and to do that I will have to build a bracket rather than use the the pipe. My floorboards are in the way and I don't feel like cutting out my floor at this time. On the right side of the pic you can see how far my floor hangs down. It sits about 1/4" higher than the slider.

jp008

Here is the almost finished product. I still need to clean them up and paint them. The front bracket will be put on later this week.

Caleb

That turned out pretty sweet...I might be doing something like that in the near future...:D before I really need them:D:D:D

jp008

:D ;) That is not the 1/2 of it. I started to tip over in one spot but bb88 and spencurai insisted that I strap up. So I did. :confused:

I like body damage to an extent, it adds character. Besides it also makes for great conversation starters:D

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
throw in a triangle in the saport on that pipe. It will bend if it gets ugly. Other than that not too bad. I like the pipe above the square for slider help. But the pipe will bend if put to the test. Put a pipe going horizontle somewhere.