Sammy guys heres a question

P

pokeyYJ

What kind of mileage do you guys get? What should be expected of a stock geared sammy with 31's?

This is just to satisfy my urge for knowledge, thanx

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
20-25 is about average....well that was before my speedo cable broke 2 years ago.....:)

any way you look at it, you are not in it for the mileage after you modify it. once you change it from stock, it no longer becomes a reasonable commuter car due to the complete lack of power!!

P

pokeyYJ

20-25, man that spanks my new TJ that I will be getting. SNAP!!!

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
You know that is a good question. With the 33's and 5:38 gears my mileage has been down. Everything is off. I will know soon. The Zukfoot will be in action in about a week !!!!! It will be a DD now since I can't afford my car. Anyone have a 3 piece top. The one that is a cover over the rear seat. I would like one so I don't freeze :) Did everyone read the Izook article on the heater cleaning out.

http://www.izook.com/tech/heaterclean/heaterclean.htm

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Im running 235's and I probably get around 20mpg. With 31's, I'd say about 15, but the only way you'll be able to turn those off-road would be by regearing, and that might improve your MPG.
As for all those people who say that Sami's are underpowered, you just arn't driving them right, remember that far right pedal? Thats called the gas pedal... when on pavement, SLAM IT!:D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Sure, with the correct gearing and a strong-running 1.3 they'll do alright. The key is the RPM range. With a sami, life begins at 4500 RPM. :)

SmokinCamel

Von, That's sounds about right. With my setup, the freeway is fun. 5500 RPM and doin about 85 well really 65-70 since the speedo is off. It's goin to be fun drivin to moab this year. :D

P

pokeyYJ

OK question 2. What kind of reliability do sammy's have? If I was looking for one what year would be best? How big of lift do you need to clear 31's, and what gears would be best? What is an exceptable price range for a Sammy?

Caleb

Originally posted by SRN
As for all those people who say that Sami's are underpowered, you just arn't driving them right, remember that far right pedal? Thats called the gas pedal... when on pavement, SLAM IT!:D

Well if you think the sami isnt under powered then your standards are low, VERY low...I agree with Von that life begins at 4500 RPM but its kinda sad when you can't drive in 5th gear on flat ground if you have any kind of a head wind and maintain 4500+ RPMs...now thats called underpowered:D:D:D

SmokinCamel

To clear 31's I would say just a SPOA. Stock springs would work. It possible try to find a Fuel injected zuk. They seem to run the best. Gears depend on what you use your zuk for. Stock gears Suck!!. The 4:16 t-case gears are a good step to start if you want to leave the Ring and Pinion stock. Next would be the the 4.57. I never ran them so I wouldn't know. The 5.38's are the best if running bigger tires. You lose Freeway speed but have more power everywhere else. Well I guess freeway speed is increased with the 5.38s I never had a good working engine without the 5.38s.
Price for a good Zuk would be about $2000-$1000 depending on the fuel injection and condition. I bought mine for $900 put is had some porblems.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
my sami gets 20-25 now and when stock. Currently running 8 inch lift from RRO, thier YJ SPOA conversion kit. I run 32's

Last edited:

SmokinCamel

hey sami welcome to the board. I havn't seen any other post from ya, so I guess your new. I like the rig. I noticed you are SLc most everyone else is in Ogden or some place far far away. We should get together sometime and go wheelin. Let me know