Central Utah San Rafael Swell - North Fork Coal Wash

eprobe

North Fork Coal Wash Oct. 14-16, 2017

I'd like to drive North Fork Coal Wash over to Oil Well Flat in the San Rafael Swell, and maybe try the Devil's Racetrack this fall. Don't know how doable the racetrack is in a Jeep w/out fuel injection or lockers. It would be great to go with someone who has done it before.

I'm also interested in exploring around Big Flat, maybe doing some hiking around Pack Saddle Gulch. Not sure if you can take the Gulch over to Tidwell Draw but I'd like to try if the road is passable / legal.

No firm date nailed down. If you're interested, please let me know! Thanks!

Last edited:

eprobe

How does early October look for you guys? I'm going to take a three-day weekend for this one but maybe it can be done in two days. Big Flat is too far afield, so I'll save it for later. I'm thinking South Fork Coal Wash, over Fix-it Pass, past Dutchman Arch + Head of Sinbad pictographs and back up Devil's Racetrack. Of course, we'd check out Slipper and Golden Gate Arches along the way.

eprobe

Greg, we could meet Saturday morning in Ferron and make a run through the desert to S.F. Coal Wash and see how far we get that day. Next day maybe we could go for the Devil's Racetrack. But we should get some more people on board.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Greg, we could meet Saturday morning in Ferron and make a run through the desert to S.F. Coal Wash and see how far we get that day. Next day maybe we could go for the Devil's Racetrack. But we should get some more people on board.

Sounds good to me... I think others will post up as it gets closer.

eprobe

Ok, I'm going to try to be at a place called Gilly's in Ferron @ 9 a.m. on Saturday, October 14. Greg, are you on board? Maybe we could get a Swell veteran to go w/ us? Anyway, I'm going to go over the Heep to make sure it's running right and give it a shot. If I have any time left over after S.F. Coal Wash and Devil's Racetrack, might shoot up to Big Flat.

eprobe

Ugh. Looks like I'm going to have to put this one off, as we are under pressure to move into another apartment this weekend and we have way too much stuff. Also, don't want to be going by myself. I'll shoot again for next month.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Ugh. Looks like I'm going to have to put this one off, as we are under pressure to move into another apartment this weekend and we have way too much stuff. Also, don't want to be going by myself. I'll shoot again for next month.

:( Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I'm not sure I'd be able to break away this weekend anyhow so perhaps it's for the best. I'll be looking out for the next planning thread.