Trip Report San Rafael Swell November 2021 Trip

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Well, the wife and I just returned from our fall trip to the Swell. Thanks to everyone who answered my previous questions on the other thread. I felt much more comfortable this trip than our first trip back in April of this year just due to being somewhat familiar with the immediate area. That being said, even after spending 5 days in the area in April and 3+ days exploring the area this past weekend, I still don't think we have even scratched the surface on the trail systems. My wife exclaimed during our drive home yesterday that she is ready to go back again. I took that as a good sign that she enjoyed herself.

We arrived on Thursday afternoon in Green River where we used as base camp for our 4-day weekend.

After getting the coach parked in our site, we disconnected the Jeep and took off to enjoy the few hours of daylight we had left, damn standard time with these short days. :rolleyes:

Our campsite for the long weekend.
swell1.jpg

swell2.jpg

I originally had planned to stick to more well known or popular trails as my wife and I were by ourselves for the duration of our trip. However, seeing the lack of people in the area I immediately knew it really wouldn't matter where we went as it was doubtful we'd see anyone else.

We crossed over I-70 at the east exit to Green River and began exploring the area to the immediate south of Green River. We saw a sign stating Geyser with an arrow, so we went with it. We ended up at Crystal Geyser which dumped into the Green River.
swell3.jpg

After heading back to the main trail we took another lesser trail to the south west. We later determined that this was Salt Wash. It was kind of a cool little trail that was very, very faint in areas. Actually my wife was questioning my navigational skills. Hell, so was I a couple of times. :rofl:
swell4.jpg

As the sun was getting low in the sky we started heading back north along a road that was labeled Crystal Geyser road. The sunset was absolutely breathtaking and by now we were up and out of any technical areas so it was just a dirt highway back to town. I don't mind being on main dirt roads after dark but I really didn't want to get caught off in a ravine with obstacles to climb out in pitch black with just the wife and I by ourselves. As we bombed our way north back to town the extra driving lights were a nice luxury to have as it got dark in a hurry.
swell5.jpg

Friday morning we headed to the middle of the trail system at exit 131 and turned to the south. We aired down at the pavement's end and continued south and then west towards Swasey's Cabin. After a short walk around the cabin we continued west down into Eagle's Canyon. Once in the bottom of the wash we came across the turn towards Rod's Valley or Eagle Canyon. I knew from April that Rod's Valley intersected the main dirt road that we had turned off of heading to Swasey's Cabin so we took the right to see where it took us up Eagle Canyon.

Within a very short time we came across Eagle Canyon Arch and stopped to walk around a bit.
swell6.jpg

We continued on and had found the I-70 bridges that we have heard so much about. This was an awesome experience to drive under these and view the engineering marvel in which took place to span this canyon.
swell7.jpg

Once north of the I-70 bridges we continued on a trail called Eva Conover trail which was the connector to Devil's Racetrack. We decided to make Devil's Racetrack a trail for another trip maybe when we were accompanied by another vehicle. Looks like we'll be inviting my son and DIL to join us next time.
swell8.jpg

swell9.jpg

After going back down into the wash and following the road around towards Rod's Valley, we joined up with the main road to Red's Canyon. This was about 2pm so we didn't have the time to explore Red's Canyon that I was hoping to have but we thought seeing as how it was a good dirt road we would be able to travel with some speed and see as much as we could. It was an awesome drive but I didn't get any pictures of Red's Canyon. We did however, get to see the heard of wild horses that we had heard roamed the area around McKay Flats. That was a cool sight.

More to follow......

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Continuing on with more pictures.

Saturday morning we turned off of I-70 just a short distance west of exit 149. This took us through a gate to the entrance to Black Dragon Canyon.

Here is our air down spot just inside of the gate.
swell10.jpg

We drove through the Black Dragon Canyon and stopped a few times for pictures. We ran across a small group of hikers at the first pictograph wall just about a quarter of a mile into the canyon from the east side but that is the only people we saw during the entire first half of our day.
swell11.jpg

Here we were exiting the west side of the Black Dragon Canyon and entering Jackass Benches and Rattlesnake Flats area.
swell12.jpg

Just immediately before hitting Buckhorn wash we saw the heard of wild burros that frequent the area. We saw a single burro when we were there in April but this time saw a small heard of about 6-8 burros wandering around through the trees.

After a beautiful drive through the Junipers and Cedars across Jackass Benches we came upon Buckhorn Wash road. I remember seeing someone mention that Swinging Bridge on the other thread so we turned north and continued along Buckhorn Wash to find the bridge.
swell13.jpg

Bingo, we found it. What an interesting bridge with an even more interesting history.
swell14.jpg

swell15.jpg

I had on my map the Buckhorn Wash pictograph panel so we continued north a short distance to locate them. Here we saw two other vehicles of people who were just leaving heading north as we arrived at the panel.
swell16.jpg

swell17.jpg

We turned back to the south after leaving the pictograph panel to locate a lunch spot. It was getting a bit windy and cold so we found a welcomed wind-break in this canyon to stop and eat lunch. Luckily there was even a picnic table.
swell18.jpg

We continued heading south and then took a turn off to the west that looked like a well traveled dirt road. Little did I know that this well traveled dirt road became much less traveled about a mile in. Then it turned to a very faint 2-track but we continued on anyways as it began turning south and I knew at some point it would have to intersect either a canyon that we couldn't cross and we'd have to turn around, OR we would hit the interstate.
swell19.jpg

The trail eventually joined up with Fix-It pass so we took that down towards the interstate. By the time we made a few stops for pictures and walking around we hit the main road right at exit 131 again so time to air up and head back towards Green River.

All in all it was another GREAT trip to the Swell and we cannot wait to go back for more exploring.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Thursty

Pretty sure I saw your Jeep parked at the Tamarisk on Saturday night, Mike. I thought I might run into you on the Swell somewhere, but it seems we just missed each other. I was in Red’s Canyon while you were in Buckhorn. Looks like a great trip!

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Pretty sure I saw your Jeep parked at the Tamarisk on Saturday night, Mike. I thought I might run into you on the Swell somewhere, but it seems we just missed each other. I was in Red’s Canyon while you were in Buckhorn. Looks like a great trip!

Yeah, that was more than likely us, we ate there several times during our stay in Green River.

Sounds like our days were just inverted.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
The wife and I have been so impressed with the Swell as far as a destination and seeing as how we haven't even scratched the surface in the first two trips, we returned last week for a few days as a shake down run for the next RV'ing/Jeeping season.

Our campsite for the stay in Green River.
sr1.jpg

Day one, airing down.
sr2.jpg

I hate the looks of Rotopax or fuel jugs on Jeeps but seeing as how the Swell is so remote and last trip I was getting worried on range I purchased a removable system to mount an extra few gallons of fuel for this trip. We ended up not needing the extra fuel but the peace of mind was worth it knowing we had a bit more range as we went off exploring various trails.
sr3.jpg

Going under I-70 heading towards Devil's Racetrack on day one.
sr4.jpg

Dutchman Arch.
sr5.jpg

On the second day we drove through Black Dragon Wash. This has become our favorite trail thus far. Here are a couple pictures of the pictographs on the canyon wall.
sr6.jpg

sr7.jpg

On the last day we took off down through Red's Canyon. Seeing as how it was spring break, the main road was a mad-house with side by sides. The weather was fantastic but it was a line of SXS's leaving a dust trail so we saw a turnoff for Muddy Creek and decided to take it and see where it goes to get away from the line of side by sides heading down the main trail.
sr10.jpg

More pictures of the trip to follow......

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
As we were driving down Muddy Creek trail we were completely alone and never did see another vehicle the entire trail.

We were about on the last turn as we were nearing the bottom of the canyon and we saw a wind sock. Both the wife and I looked at each other and thought "what the hell?" We then realized it was a small landing strip at the bottom of the canyon. Pretty cool.

sr11.jpg

sr12.jpg

sr13.jpg

I had to snap a couple pictures of the welds as I was shocked the wind sock was still standing. My wife just rolled her eyes when I said it appears there are seagulls in the area....:rofl:
weld1.jpg

weld2.jpg

sr14.jpg

Before meeting back up with the main trail on our way back up and out of the canyon we found a very overlook to get the lawn chairs out for lunch. Then as we hit the main Red's Canyon trail and worked our way around we saw a turnoff that I did not have on my tracks program. My wife said, "it looks like it goes back into that canyon, let's see where it goes." I obliged and turned onto it. Little did we know it would take us to the Lucky Strike Mine. Way cool.
sr15.jpg

sr16.jpg

sr17.jpg

sr18.jpg

All in all another great trip to the San Rafael Swell as we put about 350 off-road miles on during the four days we were there.

This has quickly become one of our favorite places to explore off-road.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The Swell is like one huge Easter Egg hunt.

I followed your example and bought the same Rotopax mount. I'm only running one 3 gallon can, though. I needed to have it perfectly vertical for my own OCD reasons. 😂

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
The Swell is like one huge Easter Egg hunt.

I followed your example and bought the same Rotopax mount. I'm only running one 3 gallon can, though. I needed to have it perfectly vertical for my own OCD reasons. 😂

Jeremy, I purchased the two 2-gallon jugs but couldn't quite get a full 2-gallons in each one.

The only reason I mounted them angled was to try and keep the weight centered over the tire rather than further outward on the tire's circumference. Just thinking about less bouncing by keeping them over the tire's mounting point on the carrier is all.

I despise the look but they do give peace of mind on those longer and more remote days. I don't think I'll run the Rotopax anywhere but in the Swell to be honest.

I agree about it being a large Easter Egg hunt. So much to see and explore.