Sand Hollow trail ratings

New here. Thanks in advance. Planning a group trip to Sand Holllow. Can anyone give me an idea of what vehicle requirements are needed for the different trail ratings. For example can the Maze (RATED 8) be done with 33"tires locked front and rear?

smfulle

I can't answer your ratings question, except to say that Sand Hollow has enough trails and obstacles that if you don't feel comfortable on one, you can back off and get to another one in just a few minutes. I haven't run the Maze cuz that gatekeeper kind of scares me with my stock CJ2A short wheel base and no rollover protection, but I've done' lots of the trails there with my 700-16 NDTs that don't quite measure 30 inches.
The guys at Dixie 4WD and some partners have put together a cool PDF map that you can download to your phone or tablet and track yourself all over Sand Hollow.

https://www.dixie4wheeldrive.com/map

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Most trails there can be done on 33s with lockers on both ends with good spotting. I'd stay away from joint effort, chain reaction, tnt. All others should be fine that are rated 7 or 8. Do you have winch? There are a couple obstacles on the maze that it would be useful on. Also sliders are a must.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
What vehicle? I’ve done a bunch of difficult Sand Hollow trails with XJ’s on 33’s. Some of the time with only 1 locker.

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
Our obstacles here while tire size lockers are good things like anywhere, I think wheelbase is almost as important. So as mentioned, what vehicle would make a difference