Sas aligment

chicken77

throttle jockey
Who would you trust to do an alignment on a 93 toyota pickup that has been sas'd and is drivin on the street? Looking for some one close to the Sandy area.
Thanks

chicken77

throttle jockey
Hey old man, I think my housing is bent? I'm not really sure, but its not right. I have another one to put in its place but I want to see how bad this one really is. Did those guys do the alignment on your Dakota?

Fester

I had Spike do some stuff on my F350. It's just him, and he knows his stuff and was honest. You might be able to find someone closer though...?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
What part of this can't be done in your driveway? Like Mr. Welder said, pull out your tape measure to check your toe. That is all any shop would do. They can't do anything about camber or caster. If you find your caster is not where you want it, you can shim your spring pads just a bit, but watch your pinion angle. Or you can turn your inner C's. If you think your camber is off, then check the axle tube for bends.

What makes you think your axle is bent now?

chicken77

throttle jockey
I'm going to take out the tape tonight and jack up the truck and take some measurements to see how bad it is. I should be able to tell what the real problem is with a few measurements.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The tops of the tires appear in compared to the bottom. Looks as though the housing is bent at the driver side spring perch.

Would that make both tires look out of whack or just the driver tire. I would think that if both tires looked out of whack it would be very obvious the axle was bent.

Anyone know that the camber is like on the Yota axles?

chicken77

throttle jockey
So I broke out the tape measure and the only thing that was out was my toe? My tires were actually the same at the top and bottom, no bent axle. So I set my toe 1/8" inch in, test drive @ 30mph death wobble. Went home checked all bearings and rod ends, Everything was good and tight. Set toe 1/8" farther in, test drive @30mph death wobble. So I repeated this process until my toe was 1 3/4" in!!!!! So set it back to zero and went the other way, @ 1/2" inch toed out and no more death wobble?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
1/2" toe-out and no death wobble? You're probably scrubbing your tires too much for it to start LOL

BCGPER is on to something, check the caster. That can play hell with death wobble and alignment in general.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I like toe in, and I would have said 1/8 inch. 1/2 inch out is to much. I think that much toe out could be covering the real problem.

Could you have a drive shaft issue?

what is your caster measurement? Place a angle finder on top of your steering knuckle on the flat by your ball joint.

chicken77

throttle jockey
Well my problem will have to wait until after the muzzle loader hunt now. It is time to hunt deer and the truck must wait!!!

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I have a similar problem on my 1991 SAS 4runner i get slight death wooble at 40 to 45 mph and i have slight toe out but if i set it toe in at all it wobbles worse, i just replaced the bearings and seal and the steering stabalizer but no luck

Chevycrew

I spoke to him today, its bad enough at 35mph to lift the front tires off pavement. Everything seems tight. Test driving with toe in from 1" all the way out to 1/2" out it does it. Wearing tires horribly at 3/4" out, but it doesnt shake.
This is a new problem, nothing has changed on the suspension.

Last set of tires were swampers, no shake and lasted 30k miles. current tires are 37" mtrs, but have been on a year.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
You might want to make sure all the tires are balenced i need mine done i know thats part of my problem, but also dual steering stablizers might keep it down

Chevycrew

I am a strong advocate against stabilizers... They only mask an underlying problem.

I run big unbalanced tires, with proper alignment, and have never had a death shake issue.

Although in this case, there may be a bent wheel contributing to the shake.