SAS Toyota Questions

ID Bronco

Recently my Son got a cool 4 Runner from 4Chin, he was great to work with.

I have some questions about suspension, gearing and a few other things that I'd like to bounce off of a Toyota Guru. If you have done an SAS on a 2nd Gen Toyota or have knowledge about them, I'd like to have a phone conversation and get some advice.

This is the first Toyota we have dealt with. Please let me know if you are willing to spend a few minutes (maybe more than a few) with me.

Thanks Scott

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Can't do a call right now but...

I'd remove at least one leaf from the front and re-drill the shackles farther forward so the shackle angle is better. I think the front hangar was tucked higher than normal and that in turn swung the shackles forward.

A slider shackle would be an option as well.

It can be difficult to match spring rates between coils and leafs. Depending on your goals and use you could convert the rear to leafs, or extend/replace the links and give the front a 4 link treatment.

5.29's would improve it's driveability and help the 3.0.

I would swap a second t-case in or at the least a set of 4.7 gears. I always wanted dual cases but was very impressed with a single case and 4.7's.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Can't do a call right now but...

I'd remove at least one leaf from the front and re-drill the shackles farther forward so the shackle angle is better. I think the front hangar was tucked higher than normal and that in turn swung the shackles forward.

I would swap a second t-case in or at the least a set of 4.7 gears. I always wanted dual cases but was very impressed with a single case and 4.7's.

A corrected front shackle angle could potentially lower the front suspension also.
Since he has a 3.0, Tcase gears aren't as attractive--he'll need to buy an adapter to a gear-drive Tcase first, then source a replacement case and regear that. (the V6 trucks got a chain-drive 'case)