Sat tv systems

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Just wondering....I assume you need cards for the recievers, and/or codes via phone line for them to work????
Reason I ask, NPS has receivers and there is a dish on our house....

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
when you buy the receiver it comes with a card... all you do is call and have it activated... make sure you get the right card for that receiver... directv charges $20 for a new card.... make sure the dish is the same for the receiver (dishnetwork versues directv)....
'John

Meat_

Banned
They don't have to be pluged in. The phone is for ppv, you either have to have it pluged in, or call a 1800# and get charged extra on top of the ppv charge.

Caleb

Meat_Popsickle said:
They don't have to be pluged in. The phone is for ppv, you either have to have it pluged in, or call a 1800# and get charged extra on top of the ppv charge.

also, when you have it plugged in it will download your programming automatically, if its not then about once a day it will have to receive it over the sat dish which will take out the signal for that receiver...

none of my receivers have cards...I just had mine installed about two or three months ago...I don't know how they do it now, they still have slots for them but no cards...whats the service of receivers out there? I could use another one :D

gijohn40

bestbuy has a simple receiver for $40 if you need another one... and if you have directv just tell them its a second one and to "mirror" it... it costs $4.99 a month more for a second one...

John

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
OK, so lets see if I get this....
So I need to pay them no matter what....figures.
But if I have them come setup one reciever for the base price, I can then go buy another reciecer and have it "mirrored" and they won't know I have a second and it will work fine? IE I don't have to pay the extra $4.99 a month??
Or do I just have to buck up and pay????

For those that have Sat systems I am wondering what you actual bill is? I know the "prices" fot the service etc, but just wonder what it is after they add all the bs and tax stuff??

Yes I am a cheap A$$

Thanks
Marc

81Ramchargerman

I have dish network and I like it alot 29.99 for americas top 60, plus 4.99 if you get a dvr. That's per month by the way. They have a promo right now and you can get install for free and no commitment, not a bad deal. :D I'm through a local provider here in I.F., but you can rent equip for free too. I dont have a home phone line, I can usually get the fee for calling in waived.

gijohn40

I pay about $57 buck a month for mine... but then again I have two receivers and I also have ultimate tv which is like tivo... and the salt lake local channels... all in all I have about 100 channels...not to mention the 15 music and all the pay-per-view.

If you like sports packages go with directv... other wise dishnetwork has the better prices...

If you have any other questions PM me and we can talk or email me!

John

P.S. I have been a directv customer since 95.

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
I worked for Dish Network, though my father's company, for four years. I installed, serviced, and sold systems.

To activate a receiver, all you need is the SmartCard number and the receiver serial numbers (R00 and S00).

Dish charges $4.99 a month for receivers beyond the first, whether it is for home use or for an RV or boat.

Some receivers have internal Smart Cards which are only removable if you open the housing, so these will not have cards where you expect to find them.

As far as programming, both Direct and Dish carry the same channels. The only differences are in packaging and the afore-mentioned sports packages. In terms of sports packages, the only package DirecTV has that Dish does not is the NFL Sunday Ticket package. Every other package that Direct has, Dish has.

The monthly bill is exactly what the programming costs are, including PPV and DVR charges. The FCC taxes are normally included at the time of purchase of the original system. There will be a state tax if your state has a sales tax.

Last edited:

Caleb

I pay about $57 a month for my Dish setup, which inclludes three rooms two of them have DVR (Tivo) and I have the Top 120 programming package. It includes these channels in addition to all local channels. I had Direct TV for a while but I cant stand their interface or the customer support. I have been VERY happy with Dish...the other deciding factor was I wanted the DVRs and on Direct TV it was $15 a month extra while on Dish its $5 extra.

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
Supergper said:
I pay about $57 a month for my Dish setup, which inclludes three rooms two of them have DVR (Tivo) and I have the Top 120 programming package. It includes these channels in addition to all local channels. I had Direct TV for a while but I cant stand their interface or the customer support. I have been VERY happy with Dish...the other deciding factor was I wanted the DVRs and on Direct TV it was $15 a month extra while on Dish its $5 extra.

I miss having DVR. My dad has the Dish DVR 921 at home and it is a dream. HD hockey was simply beautiful. I look forward to getting out this crappy campus apartment and getting a house with Dish and DVR. [Homer "doughnuts" voice] Ahhhhhhhhhl, DDDDDVVVVRRR.[Homer "doughnuts" voice]

I hardly watch much TV anymore because it's too time consuming to find what you actually want to watch, and I miss my favorite shows anyways.

Caleb

Fade2Black said:
I miss having DVR. My dad has the Dish DVR 921 at home and it is a dream. HD hockey was simply beautiful. I look forward to getting out this crappy campus apartment and getting a house with Dish and DVR. [Homer "doughnuts" voice] Ahhhhhhhhhl, DDDDDVVVVRRR.[Homer "doughnuts" voice]

I hardly watch much TV anymore because it's too time consuming to find what you actually want to watch, and I miss my favorite shows anyways.

I thought it would be fun to have, now I can't live without it :D...I no longer have to watch useless shows, and right now I have about 70 hrs of simpsons...what more do you need :D

gijohn40

I hardly ever watch live tv anymore... its just nicer to record it and watch it later that way you can speed thru the commercials... I have a friend that installed a few notebook harddrives in his an so he can record almost 2 months of shows! By the way my Directv dvr is costing me only $9.99 a month... which is still higher then dish's $5 but still worth it!!!

John

Jeeptj98

gijohn40 said:
I hardly ever watch live tv anymore... its just nicer to record it and watch it later that way you can speed thru the commercials... I have a friend that installed a few notebook harddrives in his an so he can record almost 2 months of shows! By the way my Directv dvr is costing me only $9.99 a month... which is still higher then dish's $5 but still worth it!!!

John

You are paying $10 for your Direct TV DVR? I only pay $4.99 a month for my TIVO Direct-TV Each Month.

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
Supergper said:
I thought it would be fun to have, now I can't live without it :D...I no longer have to watch useless shows, and right now I have about 70 hrs of simpsons...what more do you need :D

When I had it, I only watched TV when I was either watching my favorite shows or watching recorded shows. Cut my TV time down to almost nothing, plus I would watch it when it was convenient for me, not when the show was actually on.

It's a great thing to have.