Save Sand Hollow Riding Area - Hurrican UT, some details of whats happening...

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Just wanted to create an area where details of Sand Hollow Riding area pertaining to trail closures or any land use issues can be discussed. Please try to provide valid and constructive responses as this probably will be a lengthy battle.

Straight from the Winter On the Rocks fb site: "sounds like the we may loose about 1500 acres and a couple trails ( slip lock and milts mile ) in the sand hollow state park, the blm and the county is trading it off to a developer..... trying to get more info, if you get a chance call the washington county commissioner and let them know it is not right...."
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=547648168613381&id=143621179016084

if you feel compelled: email the three commissioners, http://www.washco.utah.gov/departments.php?whichDept=6
Washington County, Utah - Departments
www.washco.utah.govThe official website for the government of Washington County, Utah

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Southern Parkway Segment 4A Construction

There is also some further details on alternative trail head parking area on the Washington Damn side of the park. Mostly from what I know this is seasonal road construction that will limit access.
http://www.cityofhurricane.com/categories/departments/public-works/project-status/

"3/8/2013UDOT has begun construction of the Southern Parkway from Washington Dam Road to Sand Hollow Road. This project will temporarily close a portion of Turf Sod Road. During this time Turf Sod Road will be closed and citizens will not be able to use Turf Sod Road to get to Washington. Additionally, ATV access to Sand Mountain and Warner Valley from Turf Sod Road will be closed during construction. Alternate access to the Sand Dunes is available off of 1150 West in Hurricane, or through Sand Hollow State Park. Completion of the project is anticipated by Thanksgiving of this year. For your safety, we urge the public to stay clear of the construction area during this time. Please watch for additional updates."

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
This is from Don Black.
Utah4x4Club is trying to get a meeting set up with the Commission and when they do I'll try to be there to represent U4. Julie is getting a reporter with a local newspaper involved and maybe they can smoke something out.

Don and I are contacting various users. politicians both state and federal, and others to find out what the story is on this. Please post any information you get and we will do the same.

rholbrook

I checked all this out this past week. The Dam road is closed except to local traffic. At the end of the road where it climbs up to drop down into the staging area is closed do to blasting and they have done a lot of work on it. Also, the road coming from the airport toward Warner Valley has also gotten a food start. Warner Valley just has a bypass on it and it looks like it will get off-ramps and an overpass there.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Ok. I have a few small & informal updates, but this will be blowing up very soon with lots of official details.

There are two separate issues, although "we" will try to track each one very close:
1. The new road going in to the WA dam area has been in the works a long long time and locals have been told that a trail-head with a specific parking area will be included in the plans (hearsay says this is already being built). Right now 2 of a 4 lane divided road has funding and will only go as far as Sand Hollow, not all the way to Hurricane....again due to funding. This is the lesser of two evils, but we will want to keep working with U4, Utah4x4Club and the locals to make sure we get access to the trails from that area.

2. The land swap issue of ~1300 acres (basically from the edge of the sand dune heading south and west) this will take the property from BLM/Sand Hollow/Public and give it to a local property owner who was promised a land parcel of this size a long time ago in another land use issue and never received it. As you know Sand Hollow State Park has some VERY lucrative property in Southern UT and BLM has no doubt said NO WAY. Some other info is that there are other land parcel options available. The ultimate use or development plans of the property after it is part of a land swap are specifically unknown, but most likely anyone with buku money or a taste for greed will want to look out their back window or the 9'th hole at the beautiful lake and mountain sides.

sorry to be vague, more to come officially soon.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I sent this to Des News but my letters usually do not get used.

Comment from Don Black after I sent it in.
One comment though, Washington Co. is not negotiating with the BLM. They plan to do an end run around the BLM the Congressional action. As far as I know, the BLM totally opposed to this swap.

Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 6:34 PM
To: news deseret
Subject: Sand Hollow Deal

TESTING FEDS VS STATE CONTROL OF PUBLIC LANDS

Sand Hollow just might answer the question of whether Utah would be better off managing Public Lands instead of the Federal Government. It is rumored that Washington County supervisors are negotiating a 1300 acre land swap in the Sand Hollow area with the BLM behind closed doors with little or no public input. This stinks of the deal made over the Red Rock legislation that closed many off road trails. It will be interesting to see what public input is allowed. The problem as I see it is Washington County not the State or Federal Government because they are the one’s rumored to be pushing the deal.

John A. (Jack) Johnston
9907 S. Eden Ridge Dr.
South Jordan, UT 84095
Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association (U4WDA)
Treasurer/Natural Resources North

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
This is what was printed in the paper today with a correction.

Reference my recent submittal, “Sand Hollow Concerns” 12 April, 2013, I have received information that Washington Co. is not negotiating with the BLM. They plan to do an

end run around the BLM through Congressional action. As far as I know, the BLM is totally opposed to this swap.

http://www.deseretnews.com/user/comments/765626681/Sand-Hollow-concerns.html

John A. (Jack) Johnston
9907 S. Eden Ridge Dr.
South Jordan, UT 84095
Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association (U4WDA)
Treasurer/Natural Resources North

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Saw the new road that they're developing today. It's massive. It also looks like the way to Sliplock is blocked by a cable and a sign. This stuff makes me incredibly sad. I am sure anyone who has been to Sand Hollow feels the same. It will be terrible if we lose 1300 acres of some of the coolest terrain out there...