GMC / Chevy SBC Manifold Help - Coolant Port

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've got a V8 swapped FJ60 that I need some help with. I'm adding a electric fan kit, it utilizes a temp sender to turn the fans on and off. The SBC in the Cruiser already has a temp sender just in forward of the thermostat that is tied into the TBI system. I need an additional port for the fan's coolant temp switch.

Just underneath the air cleaner, several inches forward and to the passenger side of the TBI unit is a plugged port, I can't tell if its a coolant port or an intake port. Any suggestions?

If that won't work I assume I'll need to tee off of the existing switch on the front of the block. Any solutions that will yield a cleaner look than a typical Evco fitting?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Any chance you could post a photo of the port you're looking at? It would be much easier to ID with a photo.

In the past, I've used a hole in the side of the cylinder head on SBC's for a temp gauge & fan switch.

Steve Jr.

I have my fan temp sender in the thermostat housing. The housing has two ports in it. I can't remember what vehicle it came off of, but I bought it at Carquest here in Boise.
I also drilled and tapped an extra boss on the front passenger side of my intake between the thermostat housing and the port where my heater hose is when I put my TBI on. Not sure what intake you have, but mine is an Edelbrock. It was a little more work, but looks cleaner than a tee fitting.
I can take some more pics if these don't help.

Steve

Attachments

• T-stat Housing 001.jpg
    T-stat Housing 001.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 9
  • T-stat Housing 002.jpg
    T-stat Housing 002.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 10

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That thermostat housing would be ideal and an easy fix. I'll have to head to the parts store tomorrow. If I don't have any luck I'll post up a pic for some more help.

fj40scottb

Hey Kurt,

I like the housing idea, that would look clean. How's everything else coming? Did the radiator fit in there okay?

Thanks!
-scott

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Hey Kurt,

I like the housing idea, that would look clean. How's everything else coming? Did the radiator fit in there okay?

Thanks!
-scott

Looks like it will fit just fine. We got the old one pulled and drained and the mechanical fan off. The new one is sitting in its spot but we haven't hooked up any of the hoses or put the top mount back on as of yet. Should know more tomorrow. My goal is to get the plumbing done tomorrow and then finish up the electrical on Monday/Tues