Scenic RV Accessible Camp Close to SLC

We have a Japanese exchange student staying with us. It is her last week here and we have pretty much checked everything off her list and then some, but she would really like to go camping in our fifth wheel - likely not something they do much in Japan. We only have time for a couple of days and a weeknight. It would be best to get up out of the heat. Where are your favorite scenic RV spots close to SLC with not too many people this time of year? Can't be too rough - 35' fifth wheel.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Been a long time since I've been up there. Is it easiest to get there from Spanish Fork canyon or Fairview Canyon?
I haven't accessed Skyline from Spanish Fork Canyon for a long time. I have a 36' fifth wheel and I would not hesitate to go up Fairview Canyon and turn north on Skyline Drive. Lots of great spots for a large RV and the dirt road is very well maintained.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Mid week along the mirror lake highway isn’t too crowded. A couple of weeks ago I went to Trial Lake on Wednesday just to fish. It was pretty quiet. Weekends are likely still a zoo, but mid week wasn’t bad.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'd be careful with a 35'er at the campgrounds in the uintas. You'd be alright if you could find a spot at Washington Lake or find a place off the road. Murdock Basin would be a solid bet. The spots at Washington CG fill up early in the week that aren't reserve-able but I'd probably check there first around 11:00 am before settling somewhere else. If you end up on the road to Murdock basin there will be quads and the like. Another spot we liked was around mile marker 41 or 42 past Mirror Lake.

There is water at the Lost Lake CG.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
There were some decent size rigs up on top of soapstone last sunday when I went for a cruise up there. I think they pull up from Mirror Lake side as the switchbacks have much bigger turnouts.

This place is roughly: 40.5303752,-111.0320965

I'd be careful with a 35'er at the campgrounds in the uintas. You'd be alright if you could find a spot at Washington Lake or find a place off the road. Murdock Basin would be a solid bet. The spots at Washington CG fill up early in the week that aren't reserve-able but I'd probably check there first around 11:00 am before settling somewhere else. If you end up on the road to Murdock basin there will be quads and the like. Another spot we liked was around mile marker 41 or 42 past Mirror Lake.

There is water at the Lost Lake CG.
Thanks for the tips from everyone. We ended up using Nate's idea. I went up on a Thursday afternoon, talked to one of the campground workers and got a spot at Washington lake! It was perfect for the task at hand - not really remote, but scenic, high-elevation, and easy in and out! In fact, we want to go back here with my wife's. parents. Thanks again!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Thanks for the tips from everyone. We ended up using Nate's idea. I went up on a Thursday afternoon, talked to one of the campground workers and got a spot at Washington lake! It was perfect for the task at hand - not really remote, but scenic, high-elevation, and easy in and out! In fact, we want to go back here with my wife's. parents. Thanks again!
PICS!