School me on Hot Tubs

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Thinking about installing a hot tub and I know nothing about them other than the more expensive units last longer and are more efficient. Any advice? I have a concrete pad in the back yard and a conduite that leads to the electrical panel. Brands/features/companies to look for?

TIA!

LJTim

We had a neighbor that sold their house and the new buys wanted the hot tub gone, so we gladly took it off their hands. We had to wire in 220, which wasn't a big deal since the location was like 20 feet down the house from our breaker. It was a circa 2007 model, and we had to replace the control panel, and several jets. The board eventually fired, and we were done spending $ on it. We decided after we shut it off, we were spending about $40-50/month extra on electricity, but like you said, the newer models are likely more efficient. We miss it though.

Caleb

We just bought a new hot tub (spa, as they seem to be called now) last Friday and it's scheduled to be installed on Monday. We went with a Bullfrog. Their made right there in Bluffdale so you get factory techs that do the install, any warranty work, and any other work you want or need done. We really liked their jet packs, you can replace them with whatever jets/patterns you want. They also have far fewer jets that have to go through the shell due to the jet packs which means less chance for any leakage. Since they have fewer jets coming through, they also have less plumbing underneath them. This makes them more efficient in keeping the water at a set temperature. Also since there is less plumbing, that gives them more room underneath to allow for more insulation, again making them more efficient. They are the only mfg that does a full undercarriage standard which means much less chance of rodents getting up in them. They also don't use any wood or metal in any of the framing so no chance of rusting or rotting out. They do cost a bit more, but after looking at a bunch, we felt they were certainly worth it. When you order one, it's custom made for you, the colors you want, the jet options you want, the electronics options you want, etc. So it takes about two weeks to get.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
You are the second person I've talked to that recommend Bullfrog for those very same reasons. Seem like all good things to have.

Caleb

Ha, well...It hasn't happened yet. Due to the rain we've had non-stop, our concrete keeps getting pushed out which means we also have to push the hot tub install out. Right now we're scheduled to have it installed on 5/31, let's hope we get a break in rain that they'll come pour our patio before then. :(

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
How a out one of the Colman inflatable ones? My parents neighbor for one last summer and said it was awesome. Also only like $350. I was pretty close to buying one and I still might.

Caleb

So, we FINALLY got our patio poured today! We now have to wait 7-10 days before our hot tub can get installed. So we’ve reached out to get it scheduled for as early as we can next week! :D

Caleb

Nice, you'll enjoy that. We went with the A series with a lounger (A7L). I think the lounger is one of my most favorite spots in the spa :rofl: