Searching for my next travel trailer

sixstringsteve

I sold my Airstream and I'm in the market for my next trailer to live in full-time. Our favorite places to stay are off the beaten path, up a forest service road or BLM road. Most travel trailers in the US are made for paved RV parks, but I know there's a huge market for a Raptor-style trailer, with big tires, ground clearance, good suspension, and rugged build (even if 99% of the owners will never take them off road). I've seen some amazing Australian caravans, but nothing that's even remotely well built in the US.

What I'd like in my next trailer:

- room to fit 4 -5 mountain bikes
- good ground clearance
- large tank size
- good build quality
- under 31 feet tip to tail
- nice aesthetics
- lots of windows would be a huge plus as well
- under 9200 lbs fully loaded
- bumper-pull (I don't think I want a 5th wheel with the Tundra)

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I love the australian caravans. While I won't be fording rivers, I still would like to be able to get it through a dip in a dir road, or through 1 foot deep ruts if needed.

I really like the jayco AUS trailers, but they're not affiliated with Jayco US at all.

R3A6XwgeoUhT5vpX_7G-CSmwE.jpg

I've even looked into importing an australian trailer, but the hookups are on the wrong side, and they're all built for 220v power. I've done a lot of research on traditional RVs here, but I haven't found anything in the states that comes close. Have any of you guys seen anything well-built in the US about this size?

At the moment I'm leaning toward a toy hauler, where I can load the bikes in the back, and have a bed above them. I don't need the fuel fill station, but I do like the large tank size, the rugged frame, and the amount of storage capacity.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I imagine if you are ordering a new one from aus. They could wire and plumb it different as a custom build.

sixstringsteve

I wonder. Since the hookups are on the wrong side, I imagine it would take quite a lot of work to switch them over to the other side of the trailer. The doors on AUS trailers open at the sewer dump/hookup side of a US park. We stay at parks 50% of the time, and camp out on public land the other 50%.

smartass_kid

trendy, i know but have you considered a tiny home?
it would be a custom for you guys but beyond strengthening the frame and different axle setup, i can't see a reason why it couldn't be done by a decent company

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
We've been anxiously awaiting to see what you come up with. We're kind of in the same boat as I would like to downsize out of our diesel, and the complications that come with towing a 5'er off road. The Work and Play 19 WCB seems to meet our criteria. Big tanks, built in generator, beds that lift out of the way for day time use, patio (gimmicky but I like them), flexible floorplan, easy to haul bikes. Prices aren't bad at under $30k, but I'm sure they deal with all the same cheesy construction as most other RV's.

We've definitely set aside the idea of full timing, so for us this is something to escape the summer heat for 6-8 weeks each summer and "camp" a few times in fall/spring.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=166&Image=5096&ModelID=4135#Main

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
That Jayco Aus Explorer looks like an awesome setup. Too bad about the hook-ups on the wrong side. I'd guess over half the places I have dumped at over the years you could go through backwards. It would be on the correct side for dumping at our house!

sixstringsteve

trendy, i know but have you considered a tiny home?
it would be a custom for you guys but beyond strengthening the frame and different axle setup, i can't see a reason why it couldn't be done by a decent company

Good suggestion.

I love their use of space and good construction, but theyre usually too heavy (20-25k) and dont have holding tanks. Theyre great for staying out for 6-12 months, but difficult to move every few weeks.

When i settle down and buy property, i will be putting a small/tiny house on it.

sixstringsteve

We like the 24ft pacific coachworks toy haulers. Like a sandsport 24. Awful build quality though and super cheest materials.

Trailers and rvs are in such high demand now that nobody has to do qc and theyll still sell. They have no mitivation to build them better.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Grand Design has recently released a 21' bumper pull toyhauler. I've been VERY happy with the quality in our Grand Design 5th wheel. There is only one authorized dealer in utah though.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showr...omentum-g-class-travel-trailer/floorplans/21g

They also have a new line of 5th wheels aimed at the F150 market, but I don't think it comes in a toyhauler setup, and it would be pretty heavy if it was a toyhauler.

Tonkaman

I talked to a guy at the SLOREX who was custom building horse trailers into luxury campers. We chatted about a stealthy cargo trailer/ toyhauler conversion.

Maybe you can find someone to build you a custom setup?

sixstringsteve

I went to the Utah RV Super Show going on right now. Nothing really impressed me.

I take that back... I was impressed with the Grand Design 5th wheel with amazing basement storage. Nothing else impressed me. Still lots of garbage out there being sold for way too much money, with awul interior design. I'm leaning towards a used Toy Hauler that I can spruce up and hit the road in.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've been looking for something smaller that I can take on some backroads. I've looked at the Jayco 16rb Baja, the Starcraft 154 and the Geo Pro 16 Bh. I think the Geo Pro has way more engineering and amenities in it, but there are some poorly thought out elements and reports of poor build quality. Regardless, that's probably what I'm going to go with. They do have a 19' toy hauler version coming out this year, but that still might be too small for you.