Searching for my next travel trailer

sixstringsteve

I like their stuff a lot on paper; thats just the sort of thing im looking for. Ive emailed them and messaged them on instagram, but they havent reaponded. I'd really like to see one in person, but i have no idea jow to.

I like the 19t toy hauler, but the 26 gal black tank is extremely undersized for being out more than 5 days. A composting toilet might be able to fix that...

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The problem with travel trailers is they are built cheap. I have a 40 foot 5th wheel from 1987. Its 3 axles, and 9500 lbs dry 11K loaded with water and food stuff. But the whole thing is built from wood. Well, except the chassis is steel, but without shocks on the axles, it bounces everywhere on corrugated dirt roads. It shakes the crap out of the inside. I've had to reinforce all the cabinets inside.

The difference is I don't have all the fancy TV's and electronic crap and they do. I paid $4500 for mine, and they paid $75K.

Even my in-laws 36' 5th wheel isn't built that well and they paid $75K for it. and its a 2016 model. Weighs 12K empty and is a dual axle.

I like to set my 5th wheel up in a area I want to explore, kind of a base camp, then spend the week in an area exploring and having fun. Having room inside it is important to me. I need space and places to sit. We have 4 kids, and trust me, sometimes you want to be able to close a door and take a nap away from the noise.

I think the best way to build one would be out of a full aluminum chassis and frame. Then skin the outside with aluminum. Built a complete independent suspension system with shocks.

The Aussie caravans are very cool. It seems like they are built very well. But the door is on the wrong side, connects are backwards, etc. But are they worth it after shipping it here? And how about getting parts for it. And Import fees and taxes? It all starts to add up.

I don't think you'll ever find what you want without some compromise.

If you want some help importing them, I know a bit. My friend and I have been importing Land Rover Defenders for a bit.

sixstringsteve

Black series campers makes aussie units in the US with 120v and the door on the correct side. They're stick and tin built, but I'm OK with that.

sixstringsteve

Somebody's been on ExPo (or maybe KSL). :)

This has been an amazing rig, but we're under contract for a house in Arizona, so we will be selling the trailer. I'll be making a video and taking some more pictures of it soon. It's been everything I had hoped. I can stay 18 days without filling up or dumping, and in 9 months i haven't needed a generator once.

Tonkaman

Somebody's been on ExPo (or maybe KSL). :)

This has been an amazing rig, but we're under contract for a house in Arizona, so we will be selling the trailer. I'll be making a video and taking some more pictures of it soon. It's been everything I had hoped. I can stay 18 days without filling up or dumping, and in 9 months i haven't needed a generator once.
Ha ha yup, busted. I recently decided to build a van, but would love to take ideas from your trailer build. I’m sure 6-7 years from now we will end up with a toyhauler set up similarly.

Good luck on the smooth transition back into being a homeowner.

sixstringsteve

Winter is hard on me. I get depressed with 6 months of snow in the mountains. AZ is my favorite state I've visited. I love the desert. It's a lot like Utah, but where I'm moving there is way less traffic, people are better drivers, and strangers are far more friendly. In my experience, people are a lot less passive aggressive here in AZ too. The outdoor recreation opportunities are on par with Utah.

Last edited: