Seasoning Cast Iron Pans/pots

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Any hints on carbon steel? I bought a couple carbon steel pans thinking they would be super durable and non-stick for the price, but basically they chemically bond to every thing that touches their surface while cooking. I did the bake-in-the-oven-with-a-thin-coat-of-oil thing, then the next day I did the oil+salt+potato skins thing. Then I cooked bacon in them and I think there is still a layer of bacon on the surface that no natural form of scrubbing can release.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Any hints on carbon steel? I bought a couple carbon steel pans thinking they would be super durable and non-stick for the price, but basically they chemically bond to every thing that touches their surface while cooking. I did the bake-in-the-oven-with-a-thin-coat-of-oil thing, then the next day I did the oil+salt+potato skins thing. Then I cooked bacon in them and I think there is still a layer of bacon on the surface that no natural form of scrubbing can release.
for some reason I feel the answer here is more bacon... ;)

I've wondered what doing something like deep fat frying would do to a cast iron pan also...

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
for some reason I feel the answer here is more bacon... ;)

I've wondered what doing something like deep fat frying would do to a cast iron pan also...
People fry/deep fry all the time in cast iron. I don’t think the oil ever gets hot enough to burn off and make the molecules crosslink into a polymer like coating. Well maybe if some spills out and drips toward the outside bottom.

Last edited:

neagtea

Supporting Member
It’s been a while but I received a new oven and didn’t like the rough finish so out came the sanders and sanded till smooth then washed the crap out of them and seasoned in the oven.

Mike W

Late and salt on the stove top..Medium heat using a old kitchen towel to work the grease and salt into the pan..30 minutes and never use soap to clean the pan..green brillo pads won't damage the finish once it cooked into the pan..I've used the same 12" skillet for 30 years..